+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    From the sounds of it you are trying to put him to sleep too soon and that is probably why he is getting upset. From the time he wakes up keep him up for 1.5 hours before trying to put him to sleep. That includes feeding, changing, burping and playing. Do you give him tummy time?

For DS2 at that age even if his naps were only 20-40 mins I would just start over and put him to sleep 1.5 hrs later.

"Insert witty signature here"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When DD was that age she was doing at least 8hrs straight at night but only 15-20 minutes 3x a day naps. Once the night sleep got good I gave up on trying to get her to self settle/resettle after naps. I was wasting all my day trying to get her to sleep so I switched to just trying to keep her happy. I'd tried so many things, had family stay and try the methods that had worked on their kids, she would just scream if I tried to stretch out her feeds or make her sleep when she wasn't ready. She had a feed-play-feed-sleep routine.

Mornings she was happiest and would be content to sit in the bouncer and watch while I had a shower, chopped veg for dinner etc. So it would be wake, feed for 45-60min, 'play' 30-60 min, feed 45-60 min, sleep 15-20 min then repeat.

The middle of the day was OK, she'd like to lay on her mat for 10 min or on a rug with me singing along to a playschool CD or going for a walk looking around in the pram.

Then afternoons I'd be pretty much chained to the couch cluster feeding or pacing and bouncing her til she crashed.

Perhaps try in the morning after that first feed to keep him awake in the rocker, always in your sight and get a few things done. That could even be enough to help him take a longer nap after he has his second feed.

DD needed 2 hourly feeds to sleep well at night. DS was more like the 'textbook' baby who didn't start sleeping longer at night until I started spacing out his day feeds. They're all such unique little things that like to keep us guessing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Misho I dont know how to tell how tired he is. He does what I think are tired cues so i try to put him to bed

When I say he gets more hyped up - he basically seems to get more & more excited all day when he's interacting & im suspecting that he's so worked up that he cant go to sleep - thats why im trying to play with him in the middle of the feed, not after

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh hun, the first few weeks can be so tough.
    From what you've described as his routine, it sounds like you might be trying to settle him/ get him to sleep too soon, when he isn't tired yet. I had one baby who was a slower feeded (1hr+), and she would stay awake for much longer after the feed than my faster feeder. She would have appx 2 hours awake time for each cycle. Instead of feeding & then settling him straight to sleep, I would feed, and then try to enjoy some awake time with him, cuddle, chat, play on the mat, put him in a rocker, etc. When he is really showing tired signs, then I would wrap him & settle him then. I also did SOS, although I never left bub to cry at that age - for me, my choice was to put her in bed awake & leave - if she cried, then I would go in & pat her tummy/ rock the bassinet until she was asleep. If it took longer than about 15 mins, or if she got upset whilst I was patting her, I would pick her up & give her a nice, close cuddle until she settled. If you can keep him awake for a bit longer, & he gets really good and tired, then hopefully he might have a 'proper' sleep for you! Good luck, it's such a tough stage xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Lissy12; 09-09-2014 at 05:47.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is he having much play time? Just some time on a play mat with some soft toys and noisy, tactile toys?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some days he's not having much time lying on a mat to play etc - he gets more time me talking to him etc

Apart from anything else I have trouble knowing when to lie him on his mat or have tummy time - cause if its straight after a feed he spews but if I wait then its sleep time

Ok so how do I get him started on the sos routine? According to that he's meant to have a feed at 7am, but he usually feeds 5.30-6.30am

Last edited by heartstringz; 08-09-2014 at 22:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Some days he's not having much time lying on a mat to play etc - he gets more time me talking to him etc

Apart from anything else I have trouble knowing when to lie him on his mat or have tummy time - cause if its straight after a feed he spews but if I wait then its sleep time

Ok so how do I get him started on the sos routine? According to that he's meant to have a feed at 7am, but he usually feeds 5.30-6.30am

Don't worry bout the SOS times, just go off how long they need to be awake.

My 1st and 3rd ds's didn't go by SOS timings, but we followed the eat, play sleep guide. So if tizzy says 7am and your bub is starting the day at 6, swap the 7am for 6am and just move all the times one hour earlier.
    My ds3 is still on SOS but only so much that I follow the routine, not her exact times. On the days he does wake up at 7, then I follow her times exactly.

I've attached the guide my sleep school game me, hopefully it helps you.ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1410179255.501889.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Imo you are putting him to sleep too early. If the feeds take 45-60min (you sure no TT???) Then give him another 30-60min wake time so nappy change, bouncer, rocker etc then do a booby top up before sleep time.

I know some ppl say feed, play sleep but my kids were feed, play feed, sleep. They both catnapped 10-50min till 6mths old. Both only slept in my arms, car or pram during the day.

I know it's hard for you and I'm sorry you are struggling. But this is very normal behaviour for your baby. Ff or bf your kid will probably still want to be carried all the time.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Btw we never did tummy time. Mainly cos my kids slept on me so there was no need to make them develop neck strength.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.