+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a very difficult baby! The swing worked wonders but unfortunately not til bub was about 12 weeks.
    My dd's OT and psych told me that the swing going in a linear direction (front to back) has proven to help promote sleep and help reflux. My dd slept a lot on the swing. I would try persevering. Funnily enough my dd liked it side to side.
    Also I found that at around 9 weeks onwards my baby didn't want to sleep for long periods and that was making her even worse. I had a sleep lady come and she helped me immensely with settling her and keeping her soothed. I used a dummy too.
    Does bub like the pram at all? I tried that at home. .. put bub in pram and rock or jiggle it till she fell asleep.
    Plus white noise. I had a little giraffe and sheep that plays nature noises like the ocean or rain. At 21 months she's still falling asleep to it.

Hugs. I hope you can find something that works.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Tamtam; 08-09-2014 at 17:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sometimes he will slerp in the pram but not always

Totally refuses to take a dummy, we've tried a few different shapes

Im reading sos & hopefully I can put some of those routines in place. I wasnt a huge fan of the sos methods but ive literallly tried everything else with no luck, so hopefully the sos stuff will help

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Routine wise...i love a routine! I was a nanny before DS so it was what I was used to and needed for myself.

You sound a lot like me, I CAN'T let him cry, I just can't. I have major anxiety and him crying just sends it through the roof. But he's also not a 'crier' so crying for him means he does genuinely need me. I think you really need to explore the reflux route and not let your GP just brush you off.

Because you don't like letting him cry but probably need help establishing a routine I would grab 'Babybliss' by Jo Ryan. It's much more gentle but still a great help in how to establish a routine and giving you realistic expectations of what to expect from a young baby. That, combined with The Wonder Weeks BOOK (not just the app, which isn't very detailed but still great) will hopefully give you a better understanding about baby sleep and development and make you feel a bit more in control of this crazy ride.

ETA: I would definitely look into sleep schools. I wish they had them over here in the UK! They help with so much, establishing a routine, settling techniques, mental support for you, feeding, and a pediatrician will exam your DS for any underlying conditions. You can also tell them you don't want to practice controlled crying.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 08-09-2014 at 17:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks

Im also at the point of seriously considering stopping breastfeefing & switching to formula cause im over dreading feeds & crying in agony each feed & wasting money on expensive ibclcs etc, So maybe he'll settle better on formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @heartstringz
    You're in qld aren't you? Have you heard of the nuture Centre? Is run out of private hospital in Brisbane. ... You'll need private cover I think. I think they'd really be able to help you. I've heard great things. You could put your name down on the wait list with a referral from Dr.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I'm the last person to tell a BF mother to continue if she doesn't want to, but have they offered to snip his tongue tie?

Also what does your day look like? When does he first wake and what do you do? Feed? When do you then try and get him to sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know you've been recommended lots of books but I'm reading 'the no cry sleep solution' and it really makes sense to me and is a lot gentler than sos.

Feeding wise, sorry if you've already answered this but is he getting enough hind milk? DD is only almost 2 weeks but about a week ago I started making sure she was really draining each breast, even if it meant putting her back on the same breast 3 or 4 times. I've seen a really noticeable difference in how settled she is since doing this. Not quite 'block feeding' as I don't put a time limit on it (it would be less than the usual 3 hours for block feeding, more like 1-2 hours). My midwife suggested it and it's really helped. Before that she was feeding about every hour!

Don't feel any shame in putting him on formula if you think it will work better for you but it may not actually 'solve' things if you know what I mean. If it saves your sanity though..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Colbie, I think he's getting enough hind milk, I always try to make sure he drsins the breast each feed

Allie - he wakes up at around 5.30am so dh changes him then I start the feed. Including burping the feed usually takes 45 minutes to an hour. These days I try to play with him for about 5-10 minutes midfeed as opposed to after the feed cause otherwise it hypes him up even more. After the feed I check his nappy & swaddle him & place him in his cot awake. I put white noise/lullabies on for him & pat & shush etc. He usually starts screaming & continues until I pick him up. I'll usually wait till he's settled then put him down again but he immediately arcs up. Often this process goes for an hour or so until he starts doing hunger cues again. Or I give up before that & hold him to sleep or try & settle him in his rocker (sometimes works sometimes doesnt). Basically repeat this every feed & thats my day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Iirc you said he's 8wks old.. So off all my notes, he should be up for 1.5hrs before trying to settle.

Is he possibly not tired enough and that's why he's protesting and catnapping?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Colbie, I think he's getting enough hind milk, I always try to make sure he drsins the breast each feed

Allie - he wakes up at around 5.30am so dh changes him then I start the feed. Including burping the feed usually takes 45 minutes to an hour. These days I try to play with him for about 5-10 minutes midfeed as opposed to after the feed cause otherwise it hypes him up even more. After the feed I check his nappy & swaddle him & place him in his cot awake. I put white noise/lullabies on for him & pat & shush etc. He usually starts screaming & continues until I pick him up. I'll usually wait till he's settled then put him down again but he immediately arcs up. Often this process goes for an hour or so until he starts doing hunger cues again. Or I give up before that & hold him to sleep or try & settle him in his rocker (sometimes works sometimes doesnt). Basically repeat this every feed & thats my day.

What do you mean by saying it hypes him up even more? Does he get more upset? I'd play/talk to etc for longer than 5-10 mins after the feed it doesn't sound like enough but then I can't remember... & keep in an upright position. Are you getting burps out? I'd never get any from DS unless I had him over my shoulder.

White noise/lullabies did nothing for him, but I still did a lullaby at the end of the day.

The save our sleep book said to leave to cry for eg 5 min then pat shh without picking up. Picking up more than once confuses them & makes them think they should keep trying until you do it. But that depends on age I didn't start using that rule until 3 months I think.