+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with the above, a swing saved my sanity with my first baby!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Definitely agree with the swing or bouncer thats battery operated. Total lifesaver for us. I would pop him in the pram inside and push him around. Great when I was trying to eat as I could rock the pram with me foot. It does get better. Xx

♥ me & my little boy ♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

Ill try him in the rocker with something that smells of me, otherwise I might just have to let him cry if I need to eat

Whats thebest way to soothe a crying baby? I dont like letting him cry while I get food etc cause I have trouble making him stop

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Have you tried white noise to calm him/help him sleep? We still use a white noise app for DS3 (he is almost 15 months) and he has vacuum cleaner noise on when he sleeps... it helps so much. Wish I had of known about it for DS2 and DS1!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    No real advice as my son was the same but I was able to wear him in a wrap, he had really bad reflux which was why he cried and needed holding constantly, have u had him checked for reflux or silent reflux? Hugs nothing worse than a Velcro baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only had a bouncer for DD but got an automatic swing for DS hoping it would mean I could just leave him in it and not have to keep bouncing him with my foot. Nope, hated it, but again loved the bouncer. I perfected sitting at the table to eat with a foot out to the side bouncing.

I'd look into making a no-sew stretchy like a hug-a-bub. They spread the weight so evenly, and look scary to tie etc but so, so much easier than I expected. If you can't get to the shop to buy fabric, put a call out on here, usually when you make one you end up with 2 (because you only use half the width of the fabric), someone might have a spare for you to try. (I just checked, I did a huge clear out before we moved interstate and got rid of mine)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    definitely get a swing. Fisher price papasan swings are brilliant, and there's always plenty going 2nd hand on ebay or gumtree if you don't want to buy new. Also a bouncer. I had both and used both. I also babywear and don't follow any SOS type routines as well, but the bouncer and swing are amazing settlers. I wold put bub in the bouncer while I grabbed my lunch, bouncing with my foot the whole time, then would sit on the couch with baby at my feet bouncing while I ate, OR in swing if asleep or staying settled. Brilliant.

Good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a routine kind of person but I realise that some people prefer the demand and baby-wearing way and that's fine too. But I can only speak of what worked for us.

Just remember that if you are going to change a child's routine or set behaviours it usually takes about 3 days. Even when one goes to de-dummy or unwrap a child as they get older, the child still takes a few days to get used to not having those sleep cues.

Our little man loves cuddles too and I love wearing him if we're out at the shops or go for a walk.

For us, a routine works well as it helps us to anticipate and be aware of his needs and what he is most likely needing next. Is there anything about your child that may suggest that there is something amiss like reflux or bad wind?

It's hard to know what sort of advice you are after so take and leave what you will. Try and get bub into a feed, play, sleep routine of 3-4 hourly. Try 3 hourly during the day at first to make sure their nights and days are around the right way and then of course if they are past a month old you can try and get them to sleep a bit longer at night time.

Do you have a dummy and wraps? Try and make sure you have a sleep cue. But in saying that once they are in a routine they will get used to falling asleep when it is time even though sometimes they have a little "I'm so tired" grissile just before nodding off.

Make sure when you feed them that they feed completely and have regular burping to eliminate some of the wind. If particularly windy, try some Infants' Friend. Have a play then on your lap or interacting with them on the floor or in their rocker, then let them have some play time by themselves whilst you eat/hang the washing, wash the dishes, have a shower, etc.

Try and keep to the three hours unless they are having a growth spurt, but try not to feed again in under 1.5 hours. Sit down and relax whilst feeding as it usually takes at least half an hour. If you want, get out to the shops by getting bub up, feeding and changing pants, and then GO! Take nappy bag with you and if formula feeding take one just in case you get stuck or they get hungry sooner.

Bubs may cry when you put them down if they are used to being close to you and it's still important to have that cuddle time, it will take a few days to get used to not being right next to you. You can usually tell if they're windy due to how they move their body and legs tend to writhe around a bit.

It's really hard to give advice when not seeing the baby and knowing what sort of parenting style you would prefer.

We prefer routine as we know when bub will be hungry, when we can get things done and go out and can plan to work around these things. You will find it also natural for a baby to want to cluster feed of an evening. Try and keep your meals simple but still nutritious in these early days and try and get them prepped before the cluster feeding begins. Cook up a big lot of spag bog with plenty of hidden grated and chopped veg...and freeze. Chicken and veg soup is also a good one using store bought BBQ chicken, Satay stir fry using continental mix/peanut butter and birds eye frozen veg with cauli, broccoli, capsicum and carrot. Also some simple protein and salad. Sometimes store-bought crumbed chicken is good on top of a salad or in a wrap with salad and doesn't take too long either.

The other reason we find a routine works is that once you have other children you need to be up all day anyway and tend to their needs also, fit in sports, school, groceries, etc.

Hope you find something that works for you soon,
    LT x.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I used to hold DS1 a lot before I got a carrier to use because he was similar. He had reflux and would not be put down. I learnt to make food one handed and have showers at odd times whenever I could. Sometimes I would shower with him but I didn't like doing it often.

Finding the right music for us was a godsend. DS1 liked songs that I had danced to when I was pregnant and I would play them on repeat until he fell asleep. DS2 likes Billy Joel and will only nap for me when I put it on. They both liked white noise for awhile and DS2 settled down whenever I vacuumed.

To stop a crying baby I found the best for me was a change of scenery. Taking them outside into fresh air 8 times out of 10 stopped them crying.

"Insert witty signature here"

Thanks
    Reviews
    @heartstringz are you currently seeing someone for your anxiety? I know it's not in direct response to your question here, but from your cumulative posts I really hope you are seeking some help for your anxiety, it will help all aspects including being able to listen to baby cry for 5 minutes while you eat some food and look after yourself

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2014),babycake  (08-09-2014),babyla  (08-09-2014),beebs  (08-09-2014),CMF  (08-09-2014),HappyBovinexx  (08-09-2014),Stretched  (08-09-2014),SuperGranny  (08-09-2014)