+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 59 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm just over the pain. Although I have loved being able to do it after our initial struggle (and appreciate my ability to do so), I can't say it's an experience I can rave about. I know I will miss the closeness and that bond but right now I just want it to be over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am still BFing. I've tried to wean a few times but Ellie doesn't like the formula and it's stressful! I have no reason to wean as I am around all the time so avoid the issue. Now Ellie just has 3 feeds a day. First thing, lunch, last thing so I have about 6-7 hrs in between. If she took a bottle I would have stopped a while back but now it is pretty easy. However I am concerned I'm not producing enough milk...

Thanks
    Reviews
    What am I doing wrong? L is still having anywhere up to 8-10 feeds a day if we have a bad night like last night. She woke up 8 times and has been up since 5am, its 5.45 right now. I try so hard to not feed her over night but it seems so be the only way she still settle sometimes. It's exhausting and I feel bad complaining.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF Babies Due Apr/May/Jun 2014#7

Ngaiz I'm sure you aren't doing anything wrong. If BFing is painful and frequent perhaps weaning is the way to go. I'm lucky as Ellie sleeps through most nights and has adjusted to reduced feeds. I'm surprised L isn't sleeping better as she is so active through the day now. I haven't been through what you have so can't offer any useful advice.

Oh, and if Ellie wakes in the night I usually feed her too, settling any other way isn't very effective. But sometimes her last feed is so sleepy I'm not surprised it doesn't last her all night.
    Last edited by hwaterhouse; 10-12-2014 at 07:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    What am I doing wrong? L is still having anywhere up to 8-10 feeds a day if we have a bad night like last night. She woke up 8 times and has been up since 5am, its 5.45 right now. I try so hard to not feed her over night but it seems so be the only way she still settle sometimes. It's exhausting and I feel bad complaining.
    How old is she now? How much does she weigh?

If I were you I would do the following:
    1) go to dr about breast pain ASAP
    2) if dr gives you the all clear, spread out day feeds and only feed at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm. I think she may be snacking so feeding frequently and never having a proper feed. I would get DH or someone to take her away from you when you are trying to stretch out. R will be fine with DH when she is hungry and lose her mind as soon as she sees me. So maybe feed at 7am then leave her with hubby til 11, and then feed again. Your supply will be good and she will be hungry, so should be a good feed (also feed away from any distractions like tv, talking etc so she doesn't lose concentration).
    Once she has a very full tummy she should be fine to wait 4 hours til she eats again at 3pm.
    Hopefully a full tummy during the day means she doesn't have to play catch up over night, this hopefully total feeds should reduce and maybe sleep will improve too.
    3) if this doesn't work after 3 days, book in to see your baby health nurse. Get some help on sleeping and feeding, but also get info on how to wean safely (as doing 8-10 feeds daily you will need to be careful). That way you can try to push through or you can stop, but either way you will have all the info.

You must be so tired. It makes it so hard to think when you are sleep deprived xxx

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

hwaterhouse  (10-12-2014),Ngaiz  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dunno what going on but in trying to edit and it re posts
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 10-12-2014 at 13:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. At 7m she's 8.1kg but only increased by 400g from 4m which concerned her Paed a little by seeing as she was in the 97%ile she has excess to sustain herself. She also has 3 meals a day and snacks. I know that some don't like the idea of so much food before 1yr old but it was something I was willing to try.

Our day is currently going as follows:

5am-Wake up bf
    6am-Breaky usually oats with pear or berries
    7am-sleep
    9am-wake up bf
    10am-BLW snack
    11am-sleep
    1pm-wake up bf
    2pm-Lunch. At the moment it is store bought because I'm too effed to make it
    3pm-Sleep/nap
    3:30-Wake up bf (maybe i should flick this one)
    4pm-BLW snack
    4-30-5:30-Walk and a short nap
    5:30-Dinner
    6:00-Bath
    6:30-Bf then bed.

There is usually another feed during the day if she gets really fussy and one around 2am.

Her sleeps don't last as long as we want but I try not to feed her until at least the four hour mark.

We were doing really good on a rough SOS routine until she started waking at 4:30/5am. That's when the night wakings started again too.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 10-12-2014 at 13:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm. Tricky.

The only thing that jumps out at me is starting the day at 5am. All the stuff I have read says that babies do deep sleep from 7-11pm ish and again from around 5am. The middle bit is REM sleep. By getting up at 5 she is missing that second deep sleep which could be making her cranky and over tired. I am sure you have tried but I would be doing everything I can to BF and get her straight back to sleep at 5am. Could hubby help out so you can get some rest?

R has similar weight / age and typically has 2 day sleeps for 3 hours total (but she prob needs an hour more).

Not really sure what else to suggest. Over on the Facebook group a few of the girls have gone or are going to sleep school with their babies at the moment (myself included!!). Maybe get onto your baby nurse and they might be able to refer you. I def think you would be considered a high priority case if she is waking that often.

For what it's worth, lots of us are struggling. It is really age appropriate for bubs to be giving us problems w sleep etc. But do ask for help. You won't know yourself once it is sorted xxx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yip everything was starting to look good (like i mentioned in your thread) until the early waking started and it has just thrown everything it out. Personally, I'm doing fine just a bit of a zombie, I mean, the house is clean and the washing is up to date so that's good right? Lol. I just really worry about her development and that something may be wrong. Her paed wasn't overly concerned but did suggest a re visit if things didn't improve.

I'm on the fence about sleep school but I have thought about it. Dh is great, he does the early mornings when she wakes before 5 but once he has left for work I'm on the clock. It's only us during the day and there's no distractions like tv (other than the dog who is her best friend right now). The hard part is lying in bed trying to get to sleep knowing she may wake anytime haha. I think I'll have to consider sleep school after Christmas especialy since I win be returning to work in March.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had Ellie weighed in ages but she wasn't gaining much either. She is 7 mths 10 days. Like L she had a lot she could lose. The nurse said it happens more with breastfed babies but she looks good. She has dropped a few percentile bands so I should get her checked again. Ellie wakes between 5-6am every morning too but doesn't really go back to sleep. Because of this and the weather I have started walking so my day kind of looks like this:

5-6 Ellie wakes, breastfeed
    6-8 1 hr walk, sometimes Ellie might nap for 30 mins tops.
    8-9 Breakfast (Farex with fruit mostly)
    Play time
    9-11 hopefully a 30-45 min nap somewhere here mixed with playtime, chores (for me not her). A snack if she seems hungry.
    12-1 Breastfeed. I now BF before lunch as I think she wasn't drinking much after.
    1-2 Lunch
    2-5 I always hope she'll have a nap but she usually spends the afternoon fighting sleep. We go out, or play and I watch for tired signs so I can get her to bed. Snack if needed
    5 Have dinner / Play
    6 we have dinner
    6:30 Bath, breastfeed, story, bed
    7-8 hopefully falls asleep sometime here and sleeps through to 5-6. Sometimes wakes 2-3 for quick breastfeed and back to sleep.

Of course every day is different. One day last week she had no daytime sleep and another day she can pull out 2 hrs. Varies so much...