+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    ... did it settle your baby? DS is 6wks old and his feeds are so erratic. I know it's early days but it's really stressing me out. He cluster feeds for hours at night (like 4hrs or more at a time) and during the day will only sleep in my arms or in the car or pram. It's exhausting and I'm struggling.

I'm wondering if bottle feeding will save my sanity...
    Hi there Cue, couldn't read and not reply.... You do whatever it takes for you to be happy. Everything else will fall into place. Regardless of what you do or choose, I guarantee that later in life your child won't criticise you for it, they will be happy that you fed and nurtured and loved them!

Personally I went from BF to bottles with DS very early on. Using the Tommee Tippee wide 'Closer to Nature' types and they work for us. I stopped expressing when he was 6w. My supply was dwindling then, so I just let it go rather than send myself into a worried state trying to keep it up. I am now getting 7 hrs sleep overnight (he is now 9w). I am SO much happier not to be tethered to a breast pump, he is happy on formula, the MCH Nurse and Paediatrician are all happy as he is thriving. I have time and free hands to play with DD, and because of the decent sleep - I have been able to get out and about, take both babies for long pram walks etc. DH has also enjoyed being able to feed DS.

Whatever you choose, you will be ok and so will bubs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

emena  (07-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like it's more of a developmental thing rather than a BF thing. We just gave him 80ml of EMB which has calmed things down a bit. He still wanted to breastfeed afterwards (attached to me now) but he's less frantic and more relaxed. I feel a little better knowing he's got that in his belly.

I will try to persevere for a few more weeks and reassess then. One day at a time for now.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-09-2014),Que Sera  (07-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I went through this stage with DS i would use a bottle of EBM here and there during the real full on cluster periods, and they would fill him right up and send him off to sleep for a good while. I didn't have any supply issues so it didn't effect anything... my frozen EBM was such a life saver during those full on cluster times. So yeah if it works and gives you a break give them him a bottle of EBM to fill up his little belly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I got him down at about 11 and he slept until 3:30 so that was a good sleep. He had a quick feed and back in bed at 4, up again at 6:45. He's feeding now and looking pretty sleepy so hopefully I'll get another hour or so out of him before we have to be up for the day. That first big block of sleep is a saving grace at the moment, at least I'm getting a few hours of unbroken sleep at night.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh yes! Pre-kids I never imagined how great it would feel to get 4 hours of unbroken sleep. Hopefully it's the start of a new trend!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Terrible day. I called DH in tears, DS just would not sleep unless in my arms. I even went for a drive and a walk with the pram, both of which usually put him to sleep but he cried the whole time. He's feeding constantly. DH came home and tried to talk me into switching to formula but I don't think I'm ready. I am not convinced it would help with the crying and if I stop BF then I won't have anything to fall back on to settle DS.

Feeling so useless and exhausted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Terrible day. I called DH in tears, DS just would not sleep unless in my arms. I even went for a drive and a walk with the pram, both of which usually put him to sleep but he cried the whole time. He's feeding constantly. DH came home and tried to talk me into switching to formula but I don't think I'm ready. I am not convinced it would help with the crying and if I stop BF then I won't have anything to fall back on to settle DS.

Feeling so useless and exhausted.

It's this age- 6 weeks is a massive growth spurt. Switching to formula is unlikely to help and you have the added issue of the possibility it makes things worse- not always but there is a chance that the formula might not agree with bub. Feeding constantly and being clingy is so normal for a 6 week old. It does pass, truly. Wanting to be held is also so so normal at this age. He's in the middle of what a lot of people call the "fourth trimester"- he's still adjusting to the outside growing and developing fairly rapidly.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Cue I'm sorry not to have any real advice but your last post had me in tears. I remember those times so clearly (well - I revisit them a fair bit even now!). I hope things pick up for you soon x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some links that may help:
    http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-ye...th-spurts.aspx

http://breastfeeding.about.com/od/br...owthspurts.htm

http://nurshable.com/2012/05/27/six-week-growth-spurt/

http://www.becomingmamas.com/life-in...rth-trimester/

Cue I think the main thing that got me through this, both times, was to drop any expectations I had. Follow the baby's lead. At 6 weeks old, your baby isn't capable of forming bad habits or manipulating you or anything like that- what he is doing is normal (if tiring, hard and inconvenient!) and it is transient. It's not forever, within a week or two this phase/spurt will settle. In the mean time :hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    @Cue I'm sorry not to have any real advice but your last post had me in tears. I remember those times so clearly (well - I revisit them a fair bit even now!). I hope things pick up for you soon x
    Thanks Harvs, it really is so incredibly hard. I really wanted to cope better this time, and I think I was doing ok for the first month.