+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I have a hugabub, peanut shell sling and a baby bjorn but haven't had much success. I can't figure out the hugabub and he just cried when I tried the peanut shell. The baby bjorn was ok when I tried it when out for a short time but he wouldn't settle in it when I tried at home.

I need to try the hugabub again I think.
    I have a HAB and am really not a fan. They are great once you have them on you properly, but they are painful to put on unless you want to wear them all day. I also find them very hot in summer (it gets to 46C out here).

I've heard mei tai's are good for newborns but easier to put on for impromptu use and cooler.
    Last edited by delirium; 07-09-2014 at 19:29.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I mix fed DS and he was definitely more content after a bottle of FF, however, BF babies often appear more unsettled than FF babies, but that's 'normal' baby behaviour. I saw these two pics on FB recently and as the mother of a baby who perma-fed and would burst into tears the moment she wasn't in my arms I thought they were quite apt:

10593217_10152171895071290_599252693023115054_n.jpg

images.jpg

Slings do take some perseverance to get the hang of so if it doesn't work out the first few times, don't despair too much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (11-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Peanut shells are difficult to use safely with tiny bubs- hard to adhere to ticks guidelines. Bjorn a are ok but not comfy for long. The HAB is your best bet and there are some great tutes on YouTube. Otherwise an ergonomic structures carrier might be worth investing in- ergo, manduca, tula or pognae. They can be picked up cheap second hand (beware of counterfeit ergos- they're everywhere!)
    Also- bottle feeding won't change the desire to be held by you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but babies still cluster feed as newborns on formula. I had DD on formula from day 5, DS on EBM until 14 weeks, yet they had very similar feeding patterns.

For me personally I found it a myth that formula stops the constant feeding. My DD fed 2 hourly, sometimes more, around the clock until 6 weeks when one night she slept through. DS slept through about 8 weeks.
    This . My ff dd went through the 6 week cluster feeding for a few days each afternoon for roughly 3 hours. it was hard with bottles and keep getting up from couch, make more formula etc, shed only drink a bit, then want more 10 mins later and was generally fussy.

She's 12 weeks and still feeds 2 hourly to the dot from 6am to 6 pm. Thank goodness she only wakes once per night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How long does this phase last for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the other replies, but I've always encouraged cluster feeding... even on formula. Both girls would cluster feed in preparation for their biggest stretch of sleep as little bubs. To give you an idea, dd2 (once on formula) would have 120ml for her other feeds but in the 2 1/2 hours before bedtime she would have up to 300ml.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The honest truth is yes -however -if I could have breasted I would have preserved personally. Me and my first had such a horrible breast feeding experience that anything would have seemed amazing compared.

Truly - if it s all going ok for you, then another couple of weeks - and then reconsider. Once you go to bottle feeding it is really hard to go back. Having said that - if you really aren't fussed....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I switched ds at 12weeks and it didn't help at all until he started solids. I regretted stopping bf him a lot! With dd I powered through it she is a terrible sleeper but that's just her, I would end up nursing her for all her day sleeps. She would cluster feed for 3 hours of an evening and then have a good stretch of sleep. Even now at 17months she is still a crappy day sleeper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I introduced formula part time when DD was 12 weeks old because she was such a high needs baby but it didn't make any difference to her sleeping/behaviour - it did however mean that DH could have her in the evenings and give me a much needed break (I had developed PND and was an absolute mess). I ended up mix feeding until she was ten months, so it didn't totally end our BFing relationship.
    Every babe is different so do what's right for you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I mixed fed both of mine and the ratio of formula v BM never made a difference.

DD was a colicky hell-baby until 7.5 weeks, never wanted to be put down, hours (HOURS!!!) of cluster feeding/arsenic hour. She would get formula top ups and lots of comfort feeding in an attempt to build my supply. She started sleeping through at 8 weeks (8hrs, 12-13hrs by 12 weeks) and I could EBF around 16 weeks for a few weeks and stopping the formula never stopped her from sleeping well at night. I had to reintroduce it when she had a growth spurt. I switched to just formula at 8m, again no change.

DS I was on motilium from day 3 and kept up 1-2 formula feeds a day even once my supply was up, just for my sanity. I tried more/less, different times of day etc etc. Nothing changed. Switched to just formula at 10m, again no change. He's always been a happy guy through the day but at 15 months might sleep through 1-2 nights a week. Still no rhyme or reason to why he actually sleeps through those nights.

As PP mentioned though, a bottle of formula can be a sanity saver/give you a break/nice to include DH etc. Just don't expect it to work any magic.

6 weeks is generally the 'peak' of babies being unsettled, with most (excluding a genuine medical issue) becoming more content around 8-12 weeks. You're right in the thick of it right now, hang in there!!