+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP, I get where you're coming from. We had a similar issue with both sets of grandparents but not as bad as you're describing. While I agree that it's important to be grateful, I also think it's rude to buy loads of gifts when the recipient has politely asked not to do so.

Our parents have eased off now thank goodness, while in their case it was always done out of love and excitement (first grandchild) our house just doesn't have the room. We did as a pp suggested and asked that they store some toys at their house for when DD visits as we can't physically take any more. Now they usually check with us before they buy anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could tell the grandparents that the gifts need to fit into these categories? One gift per category? I think this is quite cool and look forward to using it. ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1410035440.439372.jpg

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flowerkr For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (07-09-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (07-09-2014),Surprisetimes2  (07-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In our family the grandparents like to spend the same amount on presents for each child so it's 'fair'...not that the kids can tell!

So we've told them that our house is just far too small and to just either buy clothes, books, or one big present (eg. Swing set, outdoor toys, trike, trip to the zoo, etc). I hate asking for the big presents, it feels rude to me, but I know if I don't that we'll end up with a million smaller toys.

I like the PPs suggestions of telling them that for every new toy they buy your DS one of the gifts they gave him last time will have to be donated as you don't have room. And boxing some up to send back with them!

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents and brother are the same, but I think it's lovely that my dd has grandparents and an uncle who adore her and want to spoil her.

I think is rude to ask for clothes, they want to buy gifts for your DS, buying clothes means nothing to your DS, it helps you out, means you don't have to buy them, that's not their responsibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know how you stop her from doing it (as you've already asked her) without resorting to being really confrontational and possibly rude.

I think it's frustrating that she ignores your wishes, but it is wise to pick your battles - I don't think this is worth making a big deal of. Your MIL clearly loves spoiling her grandchildren and gets joy out of doing so.

My brother and I used to get a truck load of gifts as youngsters at Xmas from grandparents and our parents. I don't think we were spoilt at all, just fortunate.

Some good suggestions have been made by previous posters regarding what you can do with the surplus of gifts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (07-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Stop being the fun police

Buying toys for kids is fun. If they can't afford it then probably say something. But I honestly don't think buying a child toys on Christmas is a bad thing. If they do it all year round then I would speak up.

I always spoilt my nieces and nephews and now all those toys have been handed onto my girls and I love seeing them play with it remembering buying it for another child 8 years ago.

They are only little for such a short time. You have maybe 12 years of toys if you're lucky. I would just be quiet and say thank you for wanting to buy something for my child.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (07-09-2014),chickenfoot83  (07-09-2014),mrswhitehouse  (07-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I decided a long time ago that some presents need to stay at nanna's house. That way they have fun toys to play with when we are visiting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another option would be to tell her they will be allowed to keep only one toy each, from her.
    Any other toys will be donated to charity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can understand in part your frustration. My in laws love buying my dd stuff.

But at the same time grandparents are there to spoil. It's really up to them.
    Getting lots of pressies at Christmas will not turn your kids into little materialistic brats. It's one day of the year.
    I think let it go. .. Just be gracious in accepting them for your DS. . Enjoy the fun and when he's finished with them gift them along to someone in need or a children's hospital etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (07-09-2014),Wise Enough  (07-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRose View Post

I think is rude to ask for clothes, they want to buy gifts for your DS, buying clothes means nothing to your DS, it helps you out, means you don't have to buy them, that's not their responsibility.
    I don't think it's rude to ask for clothes at all. My DS's grandmothers and aunties love buying cute little outfits for the kids! And I love buying them for my nieces and nephews.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app