+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any HR experts

Obviously I'll call HR (and possibly the union) at my workplace, but I thought I'd ask here first so I can word my question right. It's also early days so I don't want to bring this up at work if I really don't have to.

I work at an institution that offers 6 months 100% or 12 months 50% parental leave. That's great. The EBA states that to qualify for a second period of paid parental leave, employee must have served at least 12 months continuous service (that being at least at 50% FTE) since last period of PPL - fair enough.

I've just found myself a little bit pregnant. This is a huge surprise as we had a lot of trouble conceiving number one. If this does eventuate to a live baby, I'll have served 8 months (>50% FTE) since last parental leave.

I have a lot of annual and long service leave backed up. In your workplace, can this be used up to complete the continuous service qualifying period? Meaning, can I take annual/LSL for 4 months and then start 6 months paid parental leave?

I can't see anything in the EBA to limit when the PPL must be started after birth of child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I believe so. You'll just be using all of your entitlements to access that other entitlement. Nothing wrong with that because they are yours. You'd just be using them all up that's all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

clbj  (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. I did exactly that. I took annual leave then long service leave and then paid parental leave and then the government 18 weeks ppl.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

clbj  (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends on your industry. I know where I work in local govt, leave (as in LSL) does not count towards continuous service however a/l does.

Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

clbj  (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheers for your feedback It looks like LSL counts for continuous service in my EBA so fingers crossed! I've got 18 weeks annual leave accrued at the moment so hopefully that's enough on its own
    Last edited by clbj; 06-09-2014 at 21:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    It should count as service but it depends on your workplace so check with HR but I would hold off asking for information until you're ready to tell your boss. Nothing you do now will change the situation so you're better off waiting to ask.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

clbj  (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    It should count as service but it depends on your workplace so check with HR but I would hold off asking for information until you're ready to tell your boss. Nothing you do now will change the situation so you're better off waiting to ask.
    Exactly! Hence asking here even though I'm not going to get a definitive answer. It's a big organisation, but I would hate for any conversations with HR to get out and interfere with anything employment wise in the meantime, especially given that I have a history of pregnancy false starts.