+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Expressed breast milk

Hi everybody,

I know this has probably been asked and answered before but can someone provide some guidance on how much breastmilk I should aim to store per bottle? I would like to have enough for a feed per bottle but don't want so much that half ends up wasted. Dd is 9 weeks old.

I'm trying to get a small store of frozen milk just for very occasional use (eg. In an emergency or so DH could feed her if I desperately needed to get some sleep and she got hungry). For some reason though the thought of Dd taking a bottle is making me incredibly sad. I think I'm afraid she might end up preferring it and I don't want to lose the connection I feel to her when I'm feeding her. That probably sounds crazy or selfish and it isn't even really relevant to my question but I think I just needed to tell someone how I'm feeling as DH doesn't understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    This link from Kollymom gives you a formula to calculate roughly how much EBM a baby will need per feed.
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

As for feeling conflicted about offering a bottle, that's very normal and not selfish or crazy at all! Some BF babies - one of my three kids included never had a bottle of EBM. Everybody and every baby is different xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to freeze my ebm in Icecube trays them put in zip lock bags so I could give little bits at a time and not waste it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-09-2014),misskittyfantastico  (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt the same when dd was little. I had this amazingly special connection with her and couldn't bare to think of her taking a bottle in case it ruined our 'thing'. For the record.. It didn't. She preferred boob too. It was snugly and lovely and much less hairy than df trying to emulate skin to skin feeding with a bottle.

I used to freeze half serves in the medulla breast milk storage bags. I liked that they were pre sterilised and fit nearly standing up stacked in the freezer. Plus they thaw really quickly sitting in a jug of warm water.

You can freeze some BM. Make more later in the day, cool it and then add it to the same bag as another layer until you make up the desired serving. I just marked on the bag how much I added in each time so I knew the Ttl mL in the bag.
    I used the serving sizes on the formula runs as a bit of a guide on how much she should be getting at each feed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    I think I'm afraid she might end up preferring it and I don't want to lose the connection I feel to her when I'm feeding her. That probably sounds crazy or selfish and it isn't even really relevant to my question but I think I just needed to tell someone how I'm feeling as DH doesn't understand.
    Totally understandable feelings! We've had to give extra top-ups to DS from the start and the bottle-feeding did bother me at first but now it's actually kind of fun, and it hasn't interfered with breastfeeding.
    When he breastfeeds he just stares straight ahead or closes his eyes, but when he has a bottle he looks into my eyes the whole time. And after he finishes he makes these ridiculous cute faces that he doesn't do after a breastfeed.
    So if you do choose to give an occasional bottle, it definitely doesn't mean you'll lose your connection with her

DS is 10 weeks and takes about 120-150 mL of EBM for a full feed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I feel a bit better knowing others have felt the same way but have managed to add bottles without losing the closeness of breastfeeding.

MissKittyfantastico that link is great. I'll definitely use it as a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    I felt the same when dd was little. I had this amazingly special connection with her and couldn't bare to think of her taking a bottle in case it ruined our 'thing'. For the record.. It didn't. She preferred boob too. It was snugly and lovely and much less hairy than df trying to emulate skin to skin feeding with a bottle.
    MadeWithLove "much less hairy" gave me the first proper belly laugh I've had in ages. Thanks for that too.