+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Heart rate watch

Hi I am after recommendations on a good heart rate watch. I do Bootcamp which is different each session so ones like fitbit and similar aren't any good, I did try one once and it said in a hour I only burnt 4 calories because I didn't travel any distance. I have looked at the polar ones but would prefer ones without a chest strap because I think one would annoy me doing burpees and things. So if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a polar and it is great! Most of the chest strap is a soft elastic, I know some others are like a plastic all the way around, but it is very comfortable. It did take me a few wears to work out exactly where to wear it with my bra (part of the polar strap, on me to be comfortable, sits underneath my bra strap but the little box sits just below.

I don't think the ones where you need to touch the contacts are accurate as they are not reading constantly and I know the ones that are just the watch still tend to slip off and not get a reading, especially when doing weights/twisting your arm.

I'm not sure about the base model Polars, but mine aparently gives a more accurate reading because it doesn't just look at the heart rate, but also variations in the gaps between beats, as this is an indicator of overall fitness, or unfitness, or working extra hard or something like that. Sorry, don't know the full technical details, but it sounded convincing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tried a few and polar has been the best so far. I use mine when doing burpees and all kinds of crazy movements and have never had an issue with it moving, getting annoying or it not reading properly

I have an F7 I think which has been amazing. 4 years of nearly daily use and still going strong

Ones without a chest strap aren't as accurate apparently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH just told me apple is bringing out the iwatch so I might wait until that's released because I will kick myself if I buy something different and the iwatch does what I need

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I have a polar heart rate monitor and I'm addicted to it, I can't work out without having it switched on. The chest strap doesn't bother me at all.

I find it really useful as an objective indication of how hard I'm working out. There are times (especially in the beginning of a work out) when I am starting to think, "owwww!!! This hurts a lot and I'm never going to make it through, I'm so puffed!!" to find out that my heart rate is only 130. I know then that it's just 'lazy me' voice in my head talkign to me and I can go a lot harder.

I like it most in classes where this is a relatively constant level of cardio going on, like a spin/cycle/rpm class. I challenge myself to get a good average heart rate - my best is 168 bpm for a 40 minute cycle class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only this that worried me is I am a big girl so I am concerned it won't fit or be tight and because I have very big breasts that it would get irritating when doing sit-up, crunches and burpees

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'm not exactly petite and it's fine, I wore it when I was a size 20+ as well and it was still fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They're definitely made to fit a large chest. Lots of professional footballers wear them when training and they are big guys. It sits under your boobs and only the little box part sticks out a little. I've seen others where the signal box is built in and the strap does get thicker across the front, which would be annoying.

Many sports stores stock them now. Ring around and go try one on.

As PP said, they're pretty addictive - hence why we're all raving about our polars!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks as luck would have it one just popped up on the local buy, swap and sell on Facebook so if no one nabs it I might have to