+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Children's growth - who do I see?

Who do I see to see if 2 of our children's growth is normal?

I am of average height and my husband is tall. We have 2 children that are above average in height but the other two who were born at an average height have dropped down to the 3rd percentile not long after birth and have been tracking along that curve. Our newborn was tracking as being our tallest whilst in utero but slowed down just before birth and after.

Whilst they may have just inherited the genetics of shorter people in our extended family, I wouldn't mind checking up to make sure that this is normal. If they are just of the shorter variety that is fine, but I don't want to just leave it thinking that nothing is wrong if there is something I can do. I've brought it up with our GP a few times and she's brushed it off as she is low intervention.

Who can I see? Has anyone had experience with anything affecting growth?

We see the ECHC regularly and have had extra 'check ups' with the older one's growth along the way as they were concerned and they have recommended that I check on our newborn's growth before our next scheduled visit too. DS2's last check up was a waste of time as the EC nurse plotted his measurements on the graph wrong so it looked like he was doing okay...then I got home and moved them to where they should have been and it was back to where he was tracking.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 04-09-2014 at 11:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to add - both of their head circumferences were in the 85-90th percentile range.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Gp first than referral to the hospital pead.

My ds2 had to be checked out due to being small sized and slow growth. All test came back normal.

If your worried insist they refer you. Be pushy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (04-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I'll ask her for a referral next time we're in there. I probably should do it soon though as we reached the safety net and may as well get it done this year. It has me concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    My DD3 was born prematurely and saw a paed for checkups, including her growth.

She was born below the 3rd percentile and took ages to grow. He mainly looked at her velocity of growth (ie her rate of growth was the same as the growth charts, she was just underneath).

You could see your GP and ask for a referral to a paed I guess. They can test for growth hormones, but DD3 didn't need to as she was growing normally, just small.
    Did she continue to grow along that line or did she jump up at all?

It's a little odd - all our babies came out around the 50th percentile and two of them went up and started tracking along that curve and two of them went down and have tracked along the really low lines. I wonder if anybody else has experienced this. The nurse asked me yesterday if DS was a premmie, but he was born a few days post dates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All of my kids were born above the 90th percentile, and they all dropped significantly. My oldest dropped down to the third percentile and we monitored her growth etc. but as her paed said when she dropped 'oh look, here's where genetics has kicked in now.' My youngest dropped off the charts completely...but is actually growing at a very similar rate to my oldest, it's just that their different s.exes so that affects where they are on the chart.

My oldest is nearly 9 and has been on the 25th percentile for weight and 50th percentile for height since she was 3. If my weight and height was charted I imagine I'd be similar.

My youngest has been steady on the 10th percentile for the last couple of years.

They have always had big heads too!

I know it can be worrying, but try not to worry. It's most likely just genetics and nothing to worry about at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as my kids are on the 3rd percentile too

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Little Ted I just noticed this thread and wondered how you got on?

I'm curious as im worried about 4 month old DS.

He started in the 90s for height, weight and HC.

His head is still big (around 80th), his weight fluctuates between the 50s and 60s but his height is steadily decreasing. Started at 90 and now 36.

I keep getting told by MCHN not to worry but I am starting to really worry, especially since the only thing Google found was something on growth hormone deficiency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    For height, DD has gone from 84th to 52nd. My nurse hasn't mentioned anything about it.