+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nows the best time to learn! It is hard go avoid them all the time, especially when your eating out so we just make sure at home we eat little to no packet or processed foods, the occasional thing or treat won't hurt but you'd be surprised when you add up your daily food intake how many additives/ trans fats are in everyday foods ( bread, margarine, deli meats, biscuits, sauces, stocks, frozen meals, ice cream and obviously junk food)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-09-2014)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    All my kids have all for blw because like others, I'm lazy!

In the instance you have described tonight I would either get an easy alternative for bubs (always have something quick and easy for when your meal just isn't suitable) or just give bub a tiny amount and make the rest veggies in easily grabbale pieces.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What EM said. It's very easy to start cooking food from scratch. I'm not sure why you would put chicken noodle soup into shepherds pie tbh. Once you get into the swing of things it's easy.

Tho my kids flat out refuse to eat white potato in any form. Sweet potato they will eat but not potato. So I make cauliflower mash instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    What EM said. It's very easy to start cooking food from scratch. I'm not sure why you would put chicken noodle soup into shepherds pie tbh. Once you get into the swing of things it's easy.

Tho my kids flat out refuse to eat white potato in any form. Sweet potato they will eat but not potato. So I make cauliflower mash instead.
    How funny - the only food DS won't eat is potato! Never has - in any form! I thought he was the only kid that wouldn't eat potatoes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    How funny - the only food DS won't eat is potato! Never has - in any form! I thought he was the only kid that wouldn't eat potatoes!
    None of my kids will eat potato in any form either. Sweet potato yes. Hot chips - nope, mash nope, baked potatoes nope. Weirdos. I love potatoes haha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (03-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cook from whole foods as much as possible - that way I know exactly what is in it. The only thing I don't have time for is making my own stock, so I buy the salt reduced version and often add less or water it down.

I have actually become a much more creative cook since trying to cook as "cleanly" (I.e. Minimal preservatives, etc) as possible as it means I cook everything from scratch so if something has a lot of chilli which we don't like, I can decrease it. Whereas before when I was buying jars of sauce, I would often avoid curries and anything that mentioned chilli just in case it was too hot for our liking.

Like the others, I started using herbs, spices, garlic and onion right from 6 months. I'm a garlic and paprika lover and my 18 month old is too! If you get them used to these flavours early, they'll never know any different. The only difficulty with having a kid who eats anything is that you often have to buy an adults meal at a restaurant if you want them to eat a decent meal as kids menus are so disgusting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't get me started on kids menus!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (03-09-2014),JR03  (03-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm another one who has fed bubba our food since he started solids. I stopped adding salt when cooking but cooked from scratch anyway so it wasn't a big deal. I do make up batches of risotto with heaps of veggies and grains/ seeds like quinoa, barley, chia and freeze in cubes which I send to daycare and also have the inlaws give it to bub if they watch him.

You'd be amazed by the flavours they can handle - my 11 month old guy eats curry, spicy tuna sushi, lemon, olive tapenade...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post

Flavour... It's a recipe that's been handed down. What would you suggest?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Do you put the soup mix in with the meat or the potato??? I usually just make a bolognaise type sauce with a lot of veggies grated through it, then make mash to top it and bake a bit...ive never really used a soup mix or anything.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app