+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Baby food v family food

When did everyone move on from giving bub special purée meals (ie cooking separate from the family..). To just giving bub a mashed up version of what the family is eating (garlic/onion/herb inclusive)?
    - I am finding it is a real pain in the butt cooking and puree'ing for bub... It takes me a whole day each week...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    DS2 never had separate food. He just always ate bits of what we were eating. DS3 was about 9 months old and he just started wanting what we were eating instead of puree.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think around 10-12 months but I can't really remember.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Pretty much as soon as she was sitting in the high chair and eating with the others at dinner time. During the week I cook different food for my 4 than what I make for DH and I (always have) and DD3 has been eating what they eat since about 7 or 8 months. I modify a bit (eg taco night she gets mince/cheese/carrot but not shells. She also hasn't quite grasped pizza yes so she often has something from the freezer (stew or bolognaise) that night. But otherwise she's been getting the same for quite a while.

I don't do purées. She went straight to finger food from 5 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 7.5 months and she loves food. We started on purées, but now give that as well as some of what we are eating. Breakfast she will have Weetbix and toast or omelette, lunch is purée and cucumber/cheese/fruits etc and dinner is purée and whatever we are having for dinner. She sucks on and munches lots of different Veges, pasta, rice etc. Her gag reflex is really well developed and she's a great eater already!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2nd and 3rd went straight to eating normal family food as soon as they started eating solids. Only thing I spoon fed them was yoghurt and or the odd veggie puree if I felt they hadn't got enough in for the day, but for the most part they didnt have baby food at all.
    My 1st was a different story though. He had an over-active gag reflex and could only eat the super fine BOUGHT puree's for 4 month olds, for quite some time. Probably until he was around 10 months? Even home made puree's blitzed as fine as I could possibly get them was too chunky for him and would make him spew. Was so glad my other 2 didn't have that issue. Ben my 3rd was eating corn on the cob at 9 months with no teeth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From the beginning the kids always ate what we ate. At times I revised what we ate to suit them but not the other way around (i.e. leave out the chilli in some things, not go heavy on rich things etc).

I found babies enjoy strong tasting things like herbs, sour tasting things and raw onion.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (03-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can't remember with Ds1 but with Ds2 it was from the get go. He wasn't really interested in solids until around 8 months so once he was we just jumped straight into family meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With my first was longer, but with my current baby he is 10mo and eats what we eat not even mashed I just cut it up like I do for my daughter, been that was since about 8mo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    When did everyone move on from giving bub special purée meals (ie cooking separate from the family..). To just giving bub a mashed up version of what the family is eating (garlic/onion/herb inclusive)?

Eta. I don't add lots of chilli to my foods but do use pepper, garlic and other herbs/spices. I'm slowly building my kids thresholds of chilli up.

- I am finding it is a real pain in the butt cooking and puree'ing for bub... It takes me a whole day each week...
    Never did purees. Both my girls went straight to normal food at 6-7mths old. By normal food I mean curry, pasta, bolognese, soups etc. I never did the one type of food every 3 days. Just plonked them in their high chair and gave them food of my plate. I've also never fed them as babies.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.