+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by calicocat View Post
    Really interesting to read all the responses, I'm in a similar position to you op.
    My 17 month old DS has very few words, although I'm not too worried just yet (that might change!).
    He says dad a lot, it's his answer for almost everything. If I ask him to say mum he replies with 'dad'. He really only says dad, mum and nana (banana).
    However yesterday we were at the park when a cockatoo flew over and I said "wow, look at the big bird" and I swear he turned to me and repeated "big bird". It made me wonder if he does have more words but they just get lost in his babbling.
    I read to him a lot, and he has good comprehension and can point to lots of different objects. I guess we'll just wait for a bit and maybe chat to the GP when he gets his needles soon.
    I'm sure my DS says more words but I just don't understand him. Babbling is good though! Fingers crossed your DS takes off soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    Thank you! I've spoken to the GP and once he gets the letter from the paed saying DS has a speech delay he will write the care plan.

I'm going private for speech, there's a waiting list for them too!! She said I should get in early this year, fingers crossed. In the meantime the paed said I should take lots of photos of objects we use/encounter daily. Hopefully DS can use them to communicate with us to stop some of the frustration.

I'm not sure about the NDIS, I'll check it out.
    Definitely the way to go if you can. Check the NDIS website to see if it's available in your area and also do the online Access Checker to see if he would qualify. They are very into early intervention.

Have you tried some simple signs for words like eat, more, finished, drink?They can really help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Definitely the way to go if you can. Check the NDIS website to see if it's available in your area and also do the online Access Checker to see if he would qualify. They are very into early intervention.

Have you tried some simple signs for words like eat, more, finished, drink?They can really help.
    He has been doing the signs for more and finished for a while, he now says more while doing the sign. It's been really helpful. I need to learn some more signs, he picked the other two up really easily so I should suss it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @cheekychook I use www.auslan.org.au/about/dictionary/ u can enter a word and it will show u a flash video of someone doing the sign. It's great and my boy learns them faster than I do so I write the word and a description in a notebook for myself...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by calicocat View Post
    Really interesting to read all the responses, I'm in a similar position to you op.
    My 17 month old DS has very few words, although I'm not too worried just yet (that might change!).
    He says dad a lot, it's his answer for almost everything. If I ask him to say mum he replies with 'dad'. He really only says dad, mum and nana (banana).
    However yesterday we were at the park when a cockatoo flew over and I said "wow, look at the big bird" and I swear he turned to me and repeated "big bird". It made me wonder if he does have more words but they just get lost in his babbling.
    I read to him a lot, and he has good comprehension and can point to lots of different objects. I guess we'll just wait for a bit and maybe chat to the GP when he gets his needles soon.
    My DD is 16 months and she has no words at all. We are seeing a speech therapist later this month so will let you know what they say :-) she has very good comprehension!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd love to hear how you go LaDiDah, thanks!
    Hope it goes well for your DD and she's just taking her time :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    Since the post has been bumped I'll give an update. DS is now 25 months old, he is saying more words but still no where near what his peers are saying and doing. He still isn't stringing words together. But he now calls me mum! Yay!

We saw a paediatrician and she sent us off for a hearing test. His hearing test came back all good, even though he had fluid behind his ears, he had good hearing.

Because of this the paediatrician has said he has a speech delay. We need to go to speech therapy. At this point the doesn't think there is anything else wrong, ie dyspraxia, autism, language disorder however, we won't know until he starts speech so we can see how he responds to the intervention. We are currently on a waiting list for speech.

I think once he starts speech he will take off!! Well, I'm hoping any way.
    I find this interesting. DD at 25 months only had about 10 words and wasn't stringing 2 together. We didn't have any interventions or treatment and she got better on her own and at almost 3 she won't shut up and says 5,6,7,8 word sentences with ease. I always thought they wouldn't refer for speech therapy until 3 if their comprehension is okay???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I find this interesting. DD at 25 months only had about 10 words and wasn't stringing 2 together. We didn't have any interventions or treatment and she got better on her own and at almost 3 she won't shut up and says 5,6,7,8 word sentences with ease. I always thought they wouldn't refer for speech therapy until 3 if their comprehension is okay???
    I have a very strong genetic link to Autism in my family, so I didn't want to wait and see what happens. If my DS had autism, I wanted him in early intervention ASAP.

From what I've gathered over the past few months is that they generally wait until the child is 2 before referring to speech therapy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter is two in April and I think she's a bit behind but after reading this I think she is the same as your kids (fine)! I think as mums we worry and compare.

She says cat, dog, gogos milk (hugo is she accidentally gets a formula bottle). Keys, button, makes the pig noise but won't say peppa :/ coco (our dog) she can count to ten but still gets mixed up. She won't let me read to her (she's very independent and likes to do it herself she bables a lot lately I'm wondering if the sentence forming is coming

I would def get ears checked not just hearing but adenoids/grommets. My dd had hers done and within a couple weeks she was different kid