+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    DS was a late talker. Until he was about 22 months he didn't make one single recognizable sound, but his comprehension was fine. Then he just started chatting a mile a minute and now goes on about precipitation and evaporation, theodolites and bioluminescence. I would try not to stress about it until he is two- I know for a fact you're probably doing all the right things already to facilitate his learning!
    They are some impressive words!!! Yikes!!

    I think I could be doing more! I'm going to go out and get some more books for him this weekend. The repetitive type books like going on a bear hunt, dr suess etc. Even though we read a lot I could do more.

    I've taught him some signs as well, maybe I could do more of those too.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pomona, Queensland
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0
    I have recently brought this issue up with my GP who has given me the number for a paediatrician to take my son who turned two last week.
    He doesn't say one word in context except for Dad. He has excellent comprehensive skills and can follow three step instructions. I read to him a lot (about 5 or 6 books a day) and he can point out almost almost anything I ask. We sing lots of songs, to which he does all the actions and he has very good fine motor skills. He can blow bubbles (and blows on food that is too hot) and babbles a little bit, but mostly just consonant sounds like deedeedee and tehtehteh. I know his hearing is fine...I have stood a few metres behind him and whispered his name and he turns around.
    He will not even try to talk. As in, I say to him "Mumma, can you say Mumma?" and he looks at me like I'm a fool, he shakes his head no!

    Both My mother and DP's mother think I should not be concerned. DP and my older brother both did not talk till they were nearly three and both started talking in sentences and my youngest sister did not say anything till she was 30 months then didn't shut up. But DS's little cousin who is only 4 months older is talking in sentences!
    At about 18 months I started teaching him Auslan sign language as I was becoming frustrated (me more so than him) at the lack of communication and he now knows about 50 words. He will mimic actions but rarely sounds. for example when asked what an elephant says, he will do the "arm as a trunk" action but not the accompanying noise like we make. I always repeat the word when he signs to me but I am wondering if teaching him sign language may have delayed his speech even further? I can't get into the paedi for another fortnight so I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas to tie me over!

  3. #23
    Zombie_eyes's Avatar
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,354
    Thanks
    2,835
    Thanked
    9,033
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennagade View Post
    I have recently brought this issue up with my GP who has given me the number for a paediatrician to take my son who turned two last week.
    He doesn't say one word in context except for Dad. He has excellent comprehensive skills and can follow three step instructions. I read to him a lot (about 5 or 6 books a day) and he can point out almost almost anything I ask. We sing lots of songs, to which he does all the actions and he has very good fine motor skills. He can blow bubbles (and blows on food that is too hot) and babbles a little bit, but mostly just consonant sounds like deedeedee and tehtehteh. I know his hearing is fine...I have stood a few metres behind him and whispered his name and he turns around.
    He will not even try to talk. As in, I say to him "Mumma, can you say Mumma?" and he looks at me like I'm a fool, he shakes his head no!

    Both My mother and DP's mother think I should not be concerned. DP and my older brother both did not talk till they were nearly three and both started talking in sentences and my youngest sister did not say anything till she was 30 months then didn't shut up. But DS's little cousin who is only 4 months older is talking in sentences!
    At about 18 months I started teaching him Auslan sign language as I was becoming frustrated (me more so than him) at the lack of communication and he now knows about 50 words. He will mimic actions but rarely sounds. for example when asked what an elephant says, he will do the "arm as a trunk" action but not the accompanying noise like we make. I always repeat the word when he signs to me but I am wondering if teaching him sign language may have delayed his speech even further? I can't get into the paedi for another fortnight so I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas to tie me over!
    I know its hard, but just wait to see what paed says. He'll probably want a hearing test and a speech therapy assessment which could take a while as well. *hugs*

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    337
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very interesting post. Thank you, it's being a great read and has given me some insight.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

    cheekychook  (11-01-2015)

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,216
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked
    477
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 didn't really start to say anything until he was 2years and 2months. Now at just over 3 he doesn't shut up! But at the time it was really concerning because our DD was talking in full sentences by 18months.

    DS2 is 20months and barely says a word. We aren't worried yet.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    371
    Thanks
    298
    Thanked
    188
    Reviews
    5
    Really interesting to read all the responses, I'm in a similar position to you op.
    My 17 month old DS has very few words, although I'm not too worried just yet (that might change!).
    He says dad a lot, it's his answer for almost everything. If I ask him to say mum he replies with 'dad'. He really only says dad, mum and nana (banana).
    However yesterday we were at the park when a cockatoo flew over and I said "wow, look at the big bird" and I swear he turned to me and repeated "big bird". It made me wonder if he does have more words but they just get lost in his babbling.
    I read to him a lot, and he has good comprehension and can point to lots of different objects. I guess we'll just wait for a bit and maybe chat to the GP when he gets his needles soon.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,157
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked
    765
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My sons very first words were at 22 months. After 24 months more flowed out.
    He's now almost 3 and very, very talkative. He creates 5 word sentences.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Since the post has been bumped I'll give an update. DS is now 25 months old, he is saying more words but still no where near what his peers are saying and doing. He still isn't stringing words together. But he now calls me mum! Yay!

    We saw a paediatrician and she sent us off for a hearing test. His hearing test came back all good, even though he had fluid behind his ears, he had good hearing.

    Because of this the paediatrician has said he has a speech delay. We need to go to speech therapy. At this point the doesn't think there is anything else wrong, ie dyspraxia, autism, language disorder however, we won't know until he starts speech so we can see how he responds to the intervention. We are currently on a waiting list for speech.

    I think once he starts speech he will take off!! Well, I'm hoping any way.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,287
    Thanks
    967
    Thanked
    936
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    Since the post has been bumped I'll give an update. DS is now 25 months old, he is saying more words but still no where near what his peers are saying and doing. He still isn't stringing words together. But he now calls me mum! Yay!

    We saw a paediatrician and she sent us off for a hearing test. His hearing test came back all good, even though he had fluid behind his ears, he had good hearing.

    Because of this the paediatrician has said he has a speech delay. We need to go to speech therapy. At this point the doesn't think there is anything else wrong, ie dyspraxia, autism, language disorder however, we won't know until he starts speech so we can see how he responds to the intervention. We are currently on a waiting list for speech.

    I think once he starts speech he will take off!! Well, I'm hoping any way.
    To fill the gap while on the waiting list you can ask your GP for a care plan. That gives you 5 visits to a private Speech Pathologists for $15 each. You do have to pay for the assessments though. This is how my DS started his ST he now has funding for therapy through NDIS so if this is available in your area you can apply for funding through that. Much better and quicker than the public system.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    To fill the gap while on the waiting list you can ask your GP for a care plan. That gives you 5 visits to a private Speech Pathologists for $15 each. You do have to pay for the assessments though. This is how my DS started his ST he now has funding for therapy through NDIS so if this is available in your area you can apply for funding through that. Much better and quicker than the public system.
    Thank you! I've spoken to the GP and once he gets the letter from the paed saying DS has a speech delay he will write the care plan.

    I'm going private for speech, there's a waiting list for them too!! She said I should get in early this year, fingers crossed. In the meantime the paed said I should take lots of photos of objects we use/encounter daily. Hopefully DS can use them to communicate with us to stop some of the frustration.

    I'm not sure about the NDIS, I'll check it out.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheekychook For This Useful Post:

    zooey  (11-01-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. PND and speech delay
    By Purple Lily in forum Development Stages
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-07-2014, 19:15
  2. Toilet training a late talker?
    By WiseOldOwl in forum Constipation, Toilet Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 14:45
  3. Speech delay
    By 2BlueBirds in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-10-2013, 06:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Super soft, fun prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton plus non-toxic wooden toys. • Hypoallergenic - perfect for eczema relief • Everything needed to shop for a baby shower • 10% off + FREE gift with purchase. Use code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!