+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What if he physically removed the mother from play equipment? Is that then an offence?

He sounds like a scary nutter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You know what I would have done if some guy grabbed my kid off a swing and was acting really aggressively? I would have grabbed my kid and fled the damned park! My first instinct would have been to get my child as far away from danger as possible. Not to hang around in the park with the aggressive nutcase who'd already manhandled my kid, while waiting for the police to arrive.

Both parents were in the wrong here. The father was definitely more in the wrong, but someone who would rather keep their child present in a dangerous situation needs to reassess their priorities. This is what leads me to believe that she wasn't really that afraid for her or her childs safety and that she called the police (and wasted their time - based on the police's statement) because she wanted to prove a point.

Yes, there are some nutcases out there who would think it's ok to grab someone else's child... but I'd think that they were few and far between really. This is why I think the mother was probably obnoxious when the father asked her if she could share the swing, and its blown up into an argument and the father has cracked it and done something really stupid and totally inappropriate. Still no excuse for his actions, but I think they both have some fault in this.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by littlelove; 02-09-2014 at 19:20.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (04-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    My mother's instinct would cut in and I would have been extremely upset. It isn't so much some one touching my child, but I highly suspect he would have done it in an angry "you are not making us wait 5 mins, your child is getting out NOW' way. Who knows what kind of nutcase he was and how it may have escalated.
    My thoughts exactly. The dad was probably an over aggressive di@k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, what childish parents. I copied this quote from the news.com.au website

- “Police attended the scene, there was a dispute over one child staying on the swing longer than reasonable. The police spoke to both parties, and no offence was detected by the police."

How ridiculous to blow such a simple matter such as swing sharing out of proportion. What a waste of police resources. Reminds me of a Peppa pig episode about playing on the playground, and mummy has to tell grandpa "There is only one rule. Everyone waits their turn." Lol. The dad should have waited another 5 minutes for his kid to have a turn. It seems like the mum completely blew it out of proportion by calling the police, 'I'm dobbing on you!" I understand if he was acting aggressively/ intimidating, or scaring her with his behaviour, but the police said that there was no offence/ no assault charges, etc, so I get the feeling that she was just pi33ed off & being childish. It seems like they were BOTH being incredibly childish.

In my 6 years of frequenting playgrounds (we usually go once or twice a week or more for a few hours each time), I've never had any kind of disagreement with a parent about anything. My children have to learn to take their turn. If I see someone visibly waiting, and my kids have had a long turn, I will tell my child "You can have 3 more minutes, and then we will let the next child have a turn". I don't just drag them off immediately, because that generally causes tanties. If they want a swing and someone else is on it, I just say "Lets go play on something else, and I will keep an eye out for when the swing is free so you can have a turn". If someone else quickly hops on whilst we are playing elsewhere & I missed my chance at a turn, too bad for us! We will get a turn eventually. I find it really rude for the PP who was shouted at across the playground to get off the swing because someone else was 'next in line'. How can we expect our children to get along with each other if we parents can't even grow up a bit and get along!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if anybody had of laid a hand on my child I would lose it and prob act in much the same way... It would be like holding up a red flag in front of a bull and calling the police would be nicest thing I could probably manage in front of my child. It's not necessarily the right thing to do and yes in hindsight a big over reaction but in all honesty, it would prob be my response as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    So would people still call the police even after the article says basically the police were peeved they had been called?

Honestly it would be the last thing on my mind. If this guy was a real threat I'd just get the hell out of these. Sounds like he was being a d**k.

And yes touching another person without permission is a common assault but the police are not going to charge someone in these circumstances even if he'd touched the parent.

If he was aggressive or hurt the kid yes.

Sounds like an overreaction.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (04-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    5 minutes is nothing, surely the child could have waited.
    The father does sound like an idiot but the woman calling the police sounds likes a pain in the a$$. What a waste of police resources.
    If I was in the situation I would have accepted he was a loser and just left. I definitely would not be wasting time and money calling the police!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    So would people still call the police even after the article says basically the police were peeved they had been called?

Honestly it would be the last thing on my mind. If this guy was a real threat I'd just get the hell out of these. Sounds like he was being a d**k.

And yes touching another person without permission is a common assault but the police are not going to charge someone in these circumstances even if he'd touched the parent.

If he was aggressive or hurt the kid yes.

Sounds like an overreaction.
    I agree with you but knowing myself and my lack of reasonableness (is that even a word?) in situations like this I have no doubt that I'd prob do something similar. I'm a total nut when it comes to my kids and freely admit it....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But this is why I (personally) hate swings. Yes there are plenty of other things but to wait for a swing you have to sit and wait. How else does any one know you're waiting. I've rocked up to use a swing to have a parent come flying over from the other side and say "we're next". So I wound up taking a screaming child off the swing so they can wait.

It's just the one thing I've noticed in my nearly 9 years of going to parks.

But I also hate standing there pushing the swing. So I generally encourage playing on anything but the swings.
    Thank goodness someone finally said it! I think I'm going to have to start a spin off about how much I dislike the swing set at the park...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    I agree with you but knowing myself and my lack of reasonableness (is that even a word?) in situations like this I have no doubt that I'd prob do something similar. I'm a total nut when it comes to my kids and freely admit it....
    So am I but to actually have the thought go through my mind about calling the police? That's not child protection, that's failing to understand the complexity of life beyond the end of your shoes.