+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have been in the situation where my children have wanted the swings and there were other kids playing on them and I just tell them they have to wait their turn and to play on something else, I would never dream of touching another persons child. I am glad she called the police if it happened to me and one of my children I would have called them as well, that is if my "Mumma bear temper" didn't get the better of me and I had the police called on me by the person picking up my child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Unless in direct danger, no one should touch a strangers child.

Not knowing all the details, although you could assume he was quite aggressive and a bit looney to be grabbing at a random child, I can't make a proper judgement.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    After all the people who have been killed for seemingly nothing - like asking if someone is ok in a fight etc, depending on how "crazy" he was acting (and I considerer grabbing a stranger child from the swing as pretty crazy) then yeah - I would call the police.

How can anyone say that they absolutely wouldn't when we don't even know if he was being aggressive or scary?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-09-2014),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2014),Purple Lily  (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If someone didn't respect boundaries, when it came to stopping a swing and pulling a child off, then what boundaries will they respect? Someone like that would have a very short fuse, and could be extremely dangerous. I am glad that the woman called the police when she felt scared, instead of not doing it and something happening to her or her child.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gizmoduckus For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-09-2014),LoveLivesHere  (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This day in age - yep, I'd call the cops. I don't know his situation and there's no "oh things could get worse" he already laid hands on my child. Absolutely. Better to be safe than sorry, yes. Especially when it comes to kids. I understand the mother totally.
    I hope this dad just had a mind fart and is now going holy hell I would have done the same thing if she came up and removed my child.

"And I gave that guy directions. Even though I didn't know the way. Because that's just the kind of guy I am this week. "

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonezart View Post
    This day in age - yep, I'd call the cops.
    In this day and age?
    Sorry, just trying to fathom what you mean by that. Violent crime is lower than at any point in history. Child exploitation - arguably the same.
    Are you suggesting that people 'these days' are somehow more dangerous than they used to be?

Personally, I highly doubt I'd call the police... but we don't know all the details. If he was really threatening, then possibly.

I agree with those who think that her initial response was perfectly reasonable. I hate the expectation that children should give something to someone else on demand. That's NOT the same thing as sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do u know that they weren't on the swing for longer than 5 mins?

The OP states that they'd be another 5 mins, not how long they were on for already.

I say this coz my ds2 is a swing hog. He'd be on for 20min straight if I didn't force him off. So, perhaps the dad was frustrated that they were on for a very long time.

That doesn't give the father the right to remove the child- no way- but for my part, calling the Cops is way extreme.

People get frustrated, and men - very broadly speaking - are probably less patient then mums.

I think in this instance it probably takes/took 2 to tango.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    How do u know that they weren't on the swing for longer than 5 mins?

The OP states that they'd be another 5 mins, not how long they were on for already.

I say this coz my ds2 is a swing hog. He'd be on for 20min straight if I didn't force him off. So, perhaps the dad was frustrated that they were on for a very long time.

That doesn't give the father the right to remove the child- no way- but for my part, calling the Cops is way extreme.

People get frustrated, and men - very broadly speaking - are probably less patient then mums.

I think in this instance it probably takes/took 2 to tango.
    So what if they had been on the swing for an hour? It's a public park. Sure, sharing is lovely, but i'm not sure there are any council laws that say you must share the swings. Or that if you don't share, it gives someone the right to put their hands on you, your child or a toy they're playing with. This guy is not a toddler snatching something from another toddler!
    It doesn't take two to tango when one of the tango-ers physically intervenes. That takes one amount of crazy.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-09-2014),gizmoduckus  (02-09-2014),Renn  (02-09-2014),smallpotatoes  (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The article I read about this had the police quoted as saying that yes, they attended an incident at a playground where there was a dispute over what was a reasonable amount of time on a swing. The police determined no offence had been committed and left. I got the impression the police were unimpressed at being called out for this. And it seems like an inappropriate use of police resources to me. Parents arguing over a swing call the police?! That seems like people who need a lesson in dispute resolution and a massive chill pill really.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I don't know if I would call any emergency service over that, I guess you probably had to be there to understand. But if the child was physically fine and just a bit shocked that a stranger had taken them out of the swing then I would be ok with leaving the cops out of it and approach the guy verbally and be very stern and and direct about why that was not acceptable, and how would he feel if a stranger picked up his child, then I'd leave. I would be very surprised if this guy would have the balls to do this to a child being supervised by their Dad, rather than their Mum. He probably thought the Mum was a pushover.