+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    this morning I noticed a few posts in my facebook newsfeed where people were congratulating my friend on the birth of her baby. While my first reaction was "yay the baby is here!" that was followed quickly by surprise that people were congratulating her so publicly when neither her or her partner have made the announcement on Facebook yet. Some of the posts even included the baby's name! So here's my question, is this acceptable facebook behaviour (in which case I'm being a bit of a fuddy duddy) or should people wait for the parents to announce? Thoughts?
    This exact thing happened on my newsfeed today! I wonder it we have a mutual friend

I felt the same though, i would have hated if anyone face-booked my announcement before me or hubby got a chance to! It is not at all fair in my opinion!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to monkey&&me For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (03-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's incredibly rude to announce the birth of someone else's baby.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Extremely rude.

We sent texts to close family and friends and at the end wrote something along the lines of we intend to announce on fb later tonight, please do not post until we do.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is beyond rude I would be horrified.
    I am a very private person and I have no mention of my children on FB anywhere. No photos, no pregnancy announcement or birth announcement, nothing.
    My DH's Aunty has posted comments a couple of times and we have called her and asked her to remove posts (before you were able to do this yourself) it really irks me.

I guess I fall into the Fuddy Duddy category as well.

I also agree that wedding guests shouldn't post photos from the wedding until the bride has a chance.

At my best friends wedding the celebrant requested on behalf of the bride and groom no Facebook photos but an hour after the wedding the grooms sister already put pictures up. They were not so politely requested to be removed.

My DH's grandmother called extended family (even a cousin we don't even speak to) to tell them I had gone in to have my prem baby. I was furious, she is such a busybody and whenever we announced pregnancies to her we always made sure that whoever we wanted to tell ourselves first we did before telling her...but that is a whole other thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    On a side note my sister and I both have each others passwords so if see this sort of thing we jump on each others account and delete or hide it.
    Great idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not quite the same but a friends SIL announced my friends first pregnancy on FB before she had told pretty much anyone outside her immediate family. My friend was furious but her SIL apparently didn't see what the big deal was, refused to apologise and told my friend she was being uptight. Yeah they don't talk much anymore!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have facebook anymore, but I did when my third was born (my only baby to be born when I had facebook). I announced his birth when I got home from hospital several hours later and there were a few congrats on there for me to read. I actually really liked reading them.
    With my first two I was part of a non parenting forum that I was an active member on. I had my first two children back in the day before mobile phones had the internet, but I got hubby to send a text (international) to one girl who was a member and she announced it for me. Two days later I got home and read all the congratulations messages and it was so nice to sit down and read.

Really, as long as people wait long enough to ensure all family members and close friends know what does it matter? If it bothers you that much then you should prepare in advance and tighten the settings on your account so people can't do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'll happily don my fuddy duddy hat and matching pants suit and say I think it's just bad manners! I would never dream of posting anything anywhere until the parents have made their announcement. I must admit that on the few occasions where I've seen this happen, I have actually made tutt tutt noises. Out loud!.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (03-09-2014),MsViking  (02-09-2014),VicPark  (03-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doesn't bother me to be honest, but I haven't done any sort of announcement either times. Dh did one on his Facebook and tagged me, but it just isn't important to me. I don't even do a pregnancy annoucement either, so I had some people comment 'I didn't even know you were pregnant!' for my last baby. Having said that, I would never do it to anyone else. I text/email people to congratulate them on their babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Wrong. Wrong. Wrong! One of the reasons I hate FB. Nothing is private, or special or sacred any more. People often say "but you can keep it private". Yeah you can keep your page private but you can't control what others write or pictures they post.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (03-09-2014)