+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Expressing

Those of you who express im after some advice:

when should I pump so that I can create some feeds for dh to do overnight without me having to get up?

Is it even possible to express for some feeds in advance without increasing my milk supply?

How do I know how much ds is getting on the breast? Cause when ive pumped in the past I never seem to be able to get enough

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find the best time to pump is between 12-8am, when I have the most milk, I can get up to 200 mL. It's a pain to be doing it in the middle of the night but I get less than 50 mL if I pump during the day.

I can't help too much with avoiding oversupply as we're still struggling with undersupply but I think if you take off a little after each feed over a day and combine them you'll end up with enough for a full feed.

Pumping is a bit of a skill, I've heard a lot of people say they struggle to get any. There's lots of good advice on the ABA site and kellymom.

If you really want to know how much your DS is getting at each feed you can buy your own baby scales and weigh him before and after, but if his general weight gain and health is fine then you'd have no real need to do this (other than for your own peace of mind) - how much you can pump is no indication of how much he can get out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot!

I am able to express good amounts & even though I worked out the guide on how much ds should approximately need, last time we tried the expressing thing he just wanted more & more (way more than the approx amount I calculated) & he drank the entire store I had in the fridge & then dh ended up having to give him formula cause he wouldnt stop screaming for food.

Thats why im having trouble - not sure how much he is getting on the breast.

Or maybe he just likes to comfort suck which he cant do on the bottle & he rarely takes a dummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My LC said to express 30 min - 1 hour after a feed. 10 min both breasts if you have a double pump otherwise the opposite to the one you just fed on. I also have mega supply so she said just do it once a day. I found DD skulls back 140ml in about 3 min flat then looks all surprised & cries - it's because they are used to sucking more for a feed, DH just gives her the dummy. The LC said 100ml is about average for 8-10 weeks, I guess my DD is just a guts! Although I don't think she settles very well after a EBM so we're just keeping an emergency supply for occasional use.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Soon2be4  (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I just read your DS won't take a dummy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure how old your bub is but feeding through the night, round the clock, is entirely normal. It's tiring but it is important for building your supply in the early weeks. It is also important to remember that breastfeeding isnt just food- it is comfort, security, connection. All normal and reasonable needs of any baby. A breastfed baby seeks that connection along with food and the best source of that connection is you The do start to stretch out night feeds. I wouldn't bottle feed through the night too often as it can affect your supply and won't necessarily mean you get more sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I was just hoping to do one ebm bottle overnight so that dh could do it before he goes to bed, thus giving me a little extra sleep

9. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have oversupply maybe just express a maximum of once per day and then technically it is only replacing that feed you will be sleeping through so not creating anymore. If you feel full when you are sleeping (or trying to sleep) just express a small amount out from each side to relieve the pressure.