+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Hiring a home carer

I am assuming there are agencies who do in-home care for aged?

I am going on holidays shortly, and was wanting to know about arranging some home help/care for my FIL while we are away.

How much does it cost?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our local health service (we're rural) organise district nursing and you can organise meals on wheels through councils. Council may also be able to give you a list of cleaners.
    It's possible that if your fil needs surgery that he may qualify for some funded/cheap in home care - maybe talk to his hospital social worker.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    funding isnt so much the problem as the urgency of arranging it.

we are due to go on holidays on friday, so we need it for the next few weeks ... so no chance of arranging through council services etc as they need much more time.

But I am assuming I can arrange for and pay for this care ourselves ???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely. I'm not sure where you would go, maybe try yellow pages under home care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you give people like blue care a call? I dont do home care but yes you can arrange such things yourself but not sure how to go about it sorry. They can help with things like medications, meals, cleaning if need be etc.

Not sure what sort of agencies are your way but blue care i am assuming would be over your way.

Hope you can find the answers you need.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (01-09-2014),Mambo  (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're after private in home care you can Google one in your area.. companies like Dial an angel do in home temporary care. You have to choose whether you want aged type care (companion, meals, personal care) or nursing care which is more specialized (medications, wound care etc) the latter being more expensive. Can definitely organise it at short notice but you will probably pay a bit more.
    Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to any hospital appointments, most hospitals have a patient transport service.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes blue care is another great company. But I think they do more publicly funded packages which you may not qualify for and probably won't be able to organise at short notice. I think you need to find a private agency that you pay an hourly rate for to get what you need.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Mod-RaryGirl is online now Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Check and see if the Transition Care Program/Unit operates in the area. This government funded program transitions clients from hospital to home after hospitalisation. Aiming to keep people in their own home longer (avoid nursing homes).

A fee is charged but the service is fantastic from a rehab and support side.

Chase up ASAP as the person must be assessed while in hospital, once they are discharged from hospital they can't join the program.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you are usually his carer, give the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre a call on 1800 052 222. If he is a veteran/gold card holder, call Veteran's Home Care on 1300 550 450.

In home care is expensive. In brisbane private agencies do approx $40/hour, some with a minimum of 2 hours. If you don't really need someone there 24 hours a day you can think outside the square, ie, get an alerting device for him to wear at home, get meals on wheels daily with a midday delivery, and someone to come in mornings and evening to help him with breakfast, hygeine etc in the morning and take the rubbish out etc, and a visit in the evening to check on him, prompt for medication and get him ready for bed.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 01-09-2014 at 22:20.