+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Will I need childcare if I'm working 10-20hrs per week from home?

A question for the mum's... I'm pregnant with my first baby, and I'll be going back to work after 12wks maternity leave.

I work from home as a freelance graphic & web designer, and I'll have to do a minimum of 10hrs work a week, but realistically I'll probably end up doing closer to 20hrs.

Do you think that I can do that amount of work from home while I have a baby, or should I be looking into childcare options? I really have no idea how much time babies take up. All my work is computer based, so will I be able to work while I'm breastfeeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends on so many factors really. Whether you have a bub who is a good sleeper, or who is happy to kick away next to you without much interaction while you work? Also if you can do the hours anytime of the day or if it needs to be during business hours?

Personally I'd book at least one day per week, to do all my calls and conferencing plus any work requiring long stretches of my concentration, then try doing some of the rest while bub sleeps or when partner is home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nup, no way I would have been able to do it. When they're little they generally sleep more, but you still spend a LOT of time feeding, settling, etc. And as they get older, they want to ne involved in everything you do. EVERYTHING. I don't get anything done on my computer until DS (12 months) is asleep - he's is firmly of the belief that all electronic items are his and should be immediately surrendered to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on whether you can work in the evenings and weekends, if so 10 hours is very doable. As for 20 hours, it depends on whether you need big blocks of time to work or whether you can do 1h at a time. However if you have an unsettled baby you won't be able to do any work because you will need to be with the baby the whole time and will be too tired when baby is asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you make up any time on the evenings and/or weekends?

I was working 3 days in the office, 2 days a week at home, so 16 hrs a week with my son. It got more difficult as he slept less and less, so now I do 1 day at home with him but frankly I don't get much done. I get stressed because I have the TV on to keep him quiet which makes me feel like a bad mum, the house gets messy as we are in all day but I don't have the time to clean up. Plus I do a half arsed job for work. (more guilt) but we put up with it as it saves us around 5K a year in childcare. He is in childcare the other 4 days a week.

Plus my partner comes home to me being frazzled and the house looking like a pit, I don't think he had much sympathy to begin with but now he understands how full on it is looking after a toddler.....never mind trying to work as well!

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked from home appx 10 hours per week with a older baby/ toddler, & it was definitely doable without childcare. She was having an afternoon nap of between 1 - 2 hours every day, and I would work during that time & also in the evenings when she went to bed. Many babies (but definitely not all!) have at least one good nap each day, but it can be tricky when they are fussy/ sick/ refusing to nap/ etc. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!! Thankfully I can do my work at any time of the day or night, although there is an expectation that I'll answer the phone and reply to emails during business hours. I'm thinking from what everyone's said I should probably arrange childcare for one day a week, so I can get the bulk of my work done (and book any meetings on that day) and then get the rest done while baby is sleeping

8. The Following User Says Thank You to missflik For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (02-09-2014)