+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pregnant, pcos and can't curb the sugar cravings!

I just don't know what to do about my sugar and carb cravings. They seem to have got worse since getting pregnant and I'm worried about GD. Anyone got any tips or secrets on how to reduce or get rid of them? I'm pretty good with fruit, veg and wholegrain.... It's just the blimmin sugar!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have pcos but I do have GD and I find that you can get some nice sugar free lollies that are passable.. I also find oranges help with my sweet cravings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! Perhaps I'll have to head to the sweets section of the supermarket! I'll definitely try oranges

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can also get sugar free chocolate but i find them lol. I just find oranges are nice and sweet. Pears are good too. Not the same as a mars bar but it helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have PCO and with my 2nd I had the biggest sweet tooth. I was going through a bag of pineapple/apple licorice every few days - I couldn't get enough! I wasn't gaining much weight or eating as much overall as with my 1st.

Then I was diagnosed with GDM. Once I was on the GDM diet and keeping my BSL stable, sugar cravings pretty much stopped. I still gave myself 2 pieces of chocolate with my morning coffee, but I didn't feel like lollies at all. I don't normally eat lollies when not pregnant.

You could try a diabetic diet, however be wary though many of the GDM ones you find online assume you are overweight so restrict fats etc. I didn't find this necessary and full cream milk/butter helped to keep me feeling satisfied. I'm also not a big fruit or yoghurt eater so would often snack on a small bowl of special K instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info stretched! I'm not a big fruit or yoghurt person either and I haven't really put on any weight yet either! Perhaps I should think about going on a GD diet anyway and see if that helps. I also read that sugar cravings could indicate you're not getting enough complex carbs, so I might look into that too!