+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Persistent, nagging cough in toddler... Anyone had this!?

Well I checked the calendar and it's coming up to 8 weeks of DD having her cough. It started with a cold, which became a chest infection, then antibiotics, cleared up for a few days then another cold, croup (landed in hospital for that one), then another cold, then testing for WC (was negative), more coughing, more colds, fast forward to now and and she's STILL coughing.

It's pretty much constant. It varies from dry to 'wet' sounding, just ongoing coughing. It's really doing my head in, DH and I have been sleeping in separate rooms since July so at least one of us can sleep, we've been back to our GP more times than I can count, and I've had ENOUGH!!!

Anyone else had this? How did/do you cope?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend's 2 year old had this. I'm not sure whether it ended up being "100 day cough"? But after a couple months it just went away. Sounds like u have been to dr a few times but if you are worried don't be afraid to get a second opinion. Hope she's better soon x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes she's been tested already for WC (otherwise known as 100 day cough)... Seriously feeling so frustrated and helpless. :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 21 month old is entering week 9 of a cough and runny nose. It's driving me nuts! She tested positive to a virus called human metapneumovirus. Her paediatrician told me it can cause a persistent cough for weeks. ... But 9 weeks is crazy. Because she has a medical condition her paediatrician and cardiologist have kept a close eye but they said there's nothing they can do! If it's any consolation!!!
    I hate it!
    If you come up with a solution I'd love to know! !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow TamTam, that's interesting. How do they test for that?

I feel like we keep getting the brush off and our GP (while lovely) just thinks I'm a whinger!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter had a cough that lasted for months. One GP wanted us to get her chest x-rayed which we did. My mind is a little foggy because it was over last Christmas (cough started September). It was an enlarged sac around her heart or something. She ended up on an asthma preventer and puffer, but doesn't have asthma. I was told if she gets sick with a persistent cough, whatever it was would enlarge again and to just use the preventer until the cough went away again. Apparently dd will grow out of it. Initially I thought WC also.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 79me For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    Wow TamTam, that's interesting. How do they test for that?

I feel like we keep getting the brush off and our GP (while lovely) just thinks I'm a whinger!
    Is a nasal swab. They can test for other upper respiratory tract stuff that way too.

I keep nagging my dd's paed about it so I feel your pain. She's had bloods done. .. Plus chest x ray. .. chatted with her cardiologist over the phone. ... And really. .. There is no serious stuff going. It's just so frustrating.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks. Will keep it in mind. I'm thinking I'll give it another couple of days and go back and this time demand more tests. Aside from being completely exhausted with being up all night every night with her, I am worried it's something more serious or chronic that needs treatment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're on week 6 of a cough here. It started as croup from a virus with lots of nasal congestion, in there he also had a bout of gastro and two lots of ear infections with antibiotics. I went back to the Dr last friday as his cough was starting to sound more productive but with a slight wheeze and I was worried it was right in his chest. Chest sounded good though. He gave him a steriod to take for 5 days.

The steriod is to reduce the inflamation and allow the congestion to drain away better, which it does seem to be doing plus it has increased his appetite (which has been shocking for the last 6 weeks). The combination of these two things, while not actually getting rid of the cough, are helping him to sleep a LOT better, with much fewer disruptive coughing fits. This in turn should help his body to heal faster (I hope!).

Back to the doctor on Wed to check his ears are 100% good and will see what the next action is. I really don't want him to go backwards!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had something similar a couple of years ago which went on and off for about 6 months and tends to re-occur each winter.

My GP referred us to a respiratory paediatrician who checked him for a whole heap of different things before determining it was something he would grow out of. Sure enough, this winter he has been coughing a bit but is much improved.

It might be worth asking for a referral to one near you.