+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Golden retriever?

We have the opportunity to re-home a male one year old golden retriever. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons with this breed?

We are on a farm so space to run is not a problem. He has not been trained much to come when called etc, but is good with children. What are our chances of being able to train him well at this age if he hasn't had a good start?

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Your chances are great! Golden retrievers are keen dogs and every dog, regardless of age, can be trained.

Cons:
    Shedding!
    Chewing. Everything.

Pros:
    Very friendly.
    Really eager to train and learn.
    Great for kids and other animals.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

nicole83  (31-08-2014),Sonja  (31-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have a great chance of training him! They are usually very good motivated so that might help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I would caution though that many retrievers that I know have a very high prey drive which can be a bit challenging with training.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a male goldie and he can be trained, but is very stubborn! He requires constant training. Our puppy school trainer told us that male goldies are harder to train and more stubborn than females, but not sure if that's true? Its certainly true in our case anyway!

Also goldies tend to be 'puppies' until they are about 3yo - so they will chew everything and be very mischievous and full of energy!

Having said all that, our boy is lots of fun, very affectionate and absolutely LOVES our DS.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    Your chances are great! Golden retrievers are keen dogs and every dog, regardless of age, can be trained.

Cons:
    Shedding!
    Chewing. Everything.

Pros:
    Very friendly.
    Really eager to train and learn.
    Great for kids and other animals.
    All of this.

My boy is 6months old and in his excitement he often knocks my 3yo over but it's not on purpose. You'll need to commit to training but they are amazing dogs! You'll need to groom regularly especially on a farm but that's easy enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelove View Post
    We have a male goldie and he can be trained, but is very stubborn! He requires constant training. Our puppy school trainer told us that male goldies are harder to train and more stubborn than females, but not sure if that's true? Its certainly true in our case anyway!
    True in my mums case also.

You cant go wrong though getting a goldie. They are so loving and smart and loyal. Even when being naughty they are funny and entertaining doing it.
    My mums male goldie pulls trees out of her garden and sits there eating the bloody thing. He'll then look at you with this look of proudness on his face. Such a ratbag.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My goldie is now 9 months old.
    I agree with everything others have said and will add
    - soft mouth so no biting even if he did grab our hands early on.
    - gentle with kids even though he's a big baby
    - easy to train - for most things
    - great on the farm

Cons...
    Can be stubborn - I wouldn't trust mine off the lead anywhere except an off lead dog park where he can't escape. Not because he's dangerous but because if he sees a kid or other dog he wants to be friends with , no amount of calling gets him to come back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    These posts are really interesting as I agree with everything pp's have said except for the stubbornness. My goldie is almost 2 and a half but is a female. She is the most gentle passive creature on this earth and so well behaved (except for the chewing).

I wonder if stubbornness is a male trait?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    These posts are really interesting as I agree with everything pp's have said except for the stubbornness. My goldie is almost 2 and a half but is a female. She is the most gentle passive creature on this earth and so well behaved (except for the chewing).

I wonder if stubbornness is a male trait?
    My mum has one of each and definitely no stubbornness in the female but the male...wowzer. Id be inclined to say its a male thing.