+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 40, ttc #1 with IVF - 6th cycle

Hi there,

DH and I are both 40, we've been ttc 1 for 4 years, 2 natural pregnancies - 1 blighted ovum aged 36 and 1 ectopic in the space of 6 months when we first started trying. After the ectopic, i had all the tests, tubes clear but no pregnancies. DH has had both sperm tests and all good, we have no other issues, although I do have adenomyosis which hasnt seemed to be a problem carrying a pregnancy.

So we moved to IVF in Jan 13 - heres a run down of our IVF cycles..

Jan 13-short cycle 225 gonal f - resulted in a cancelled cycle as there was 1or 2 eggs
    Mar 13 - short cycle 350 gonal f - 3 eggs, 2 fertilised and 1 8 cell 3 day tfr=BFN
    Jun 13 - short cycle 375 puregon - 6 eggs, 4 fertilised and 2 day 5 blasties, 1 tfred/1 frozen = BFP but mmc at 13 weeks due to chromosomal abnormality.
    Oct 13 FET - BFN
    Feb 14 - short cycle 375 puregon+saizen= 3 eggs, 2 fertlised-day 3 1x4 cell and 1x5 cell - nothing to transfer at day 5
    May 14 - down reg cycle 350 puregon - 1 egg, 1 fertilsed and 1x4cell 3 day transfer - BFN
    Aug 14 - short cycle 375 puregon - 5 eggs/2mature-2fertilised - and tomorrow is day 3 so will get next update then..

So it seems that as soon as I have hit 40, (feb this year) my cycles have turned to crap. Ive been cycling with RPA who I have found great up until this year when I feel that their approach is a bit too 1 size fits all and not having access to a FS as the cycle progresses has been starting to annoy me.

Im feeling pretty negative now about this current cycle, Im waiting for them to call me tomorrow with the same "slow growing embyos" (which basically means another failed cycle) that we have had the past 2 cycles. I know I shouldn't get ahead of myself, but its just so heart breaking going through so much and then it just being such a dud.

My next step I think is to go and get another FS opinion - but someone outside of Genea. I think I need someone who is willing to try new things.

Does anyone have advice or has been / is in a similar situation or has been and has had success? I feel that my time is running out and Im looking for some hope.

Also if anyone has any FS recommendations in Sydney (Im in the St George area) could you pass them on via PM.

thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a history that read somewhat like yours - multiple stim cycles with a couple of crummy slow embryos each time that we threw back in day two just so we could say we made it to transfer. Nothing ever too from these. This has only been in the past three years - prior to that I had low responses but good eggs however due to being a fragile X grey zone allele carrier my AMH took a battling in my mid twenties so I was stuck with a similar problem to what yours presents like (to me, absolutely no offense intended) - low quantity and quality eggs.

i was getting jack of the waste of time and $ so I did a whole lot of things - made myself an appointment with probably the best poor responder doctor in Australia, Dr Warren De Ambrosis in Brisbane. Appointment was 10 months away but asked to be put on his cancellation list. I then started myself and my DH on his list of supplements (if you find the Wazza appreciation thread it is in there) and insisted on using melatonin, Saizen (every day whilst stimming, not cheap!) and DHEA to my current FS who thought they were all useless but humoured me anyway. Lovely doctor, but a bit restrictive in his thinking.

The day before we were about to start stim number 6 in a year with our current doctor we hit the jackpot - an appointment with Wazza. We said we had little hope but said he'd try - did an endometrial scratch and lipiodal flush, put me on an oestrogen priming cycle, slammed me with 750 Gonal F and more drugs and tablets and patches than I've seen in my life, made us use PICSI and gave my intralipids for borderline natural killer cells. My responses was the best for me yet and he insisted we go to day 5 transfer no matter what. A few stragglers made it and we did a double transfer. Gave me intrauterine pregnyl during transfer.

Something made a difference - not sure if one factor or a combination but it worked and (whilst it's early days) I'm almost seven weeks pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks scratchycat. I have read through some posts and heard about Wazza. Ive taken note of the supplements list and will endeavour to start them if this is another bust cycle. Im in Sydney and I know of 2 other FS that do the nk cells treatment, so Im possibly interested in testing for that if we need to.

However, I just got good news about our embies - they are both at 8 cells !!!(day 3 today) I cant believe it after the last 2 cycles having such duds. So next hurdle is transfer day, heres hoping they (or 1) continue to thrive and we have a chance again at this. Ive been taking coq10 and exercising like crazy for 2 months prior so it makes me wonder if this has helped. A long way to go yet but I feel like we've made some progress.

Am still keen on recommendations and others points of view..

And congrats Scratchy!! fingers crossed everything goes well for you! All the very best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tuxcat.... just popping in quickly to suggest that you come and join us "over 40s" on our "IVF over 40 #10" thread. You'll find lots of support and advice there. Just copy and re-post your post to there.