+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you trust a stranger to deliver a car interstate for you?

Ok so couldn't find where to post this so this section was close as I could find!

We relocated from Canberra to Gold Coast a few weeks ago. Were unable to sell our second car before we came and had a few time wasters since we left it with a friend to sell for us, so we've decided to bring it up to the Gold Coast instead.

Rather than DH flying down to Canberra and driving it back I'm considering finding a person via Gumtree ad to do it. I was going to pay the petrol costs when they produce receipts and give them some kind of bonus payment when it's delivered in the same condition it left the ACT. I thought if they show their licence to our friend who has the car, we keep a copy and also 100 points of ID this might work. Car isn't worth that much.

Does this sound totally stupid/risky or could it work? Thought a person who needs to get up here could benefit from it, free travel. Thoughts please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would. A backpacker might do it for you. If its not worth much and not covered by insurance you have nothing to loose

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It's not something I would be comfortable with.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (31-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldn't do it. I got my car delivered from Victoria to Queensland for $400 door to door with a proper company - fully insured & no issues. Car wasn't worth much money but was everything to me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (31-08-2014),LoveLivesHere  (31-08-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Be careful. There are people who transport drugs this way. Someone I know was offered this opportunity, similar story to yours, to drive a vehicle from one state to another to "help" the driver out. Turns out the door panels were going to be loaded and driver wouldn't have known. Luckily they were tipped off in the end.
    I know your situation is completely different, totally, but advertising to the public on gumtree the use of your vehicle to be driven between states could encourage some shady characters.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (31-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Nope. There are more issues than obvious accidents. Canberra to the GC is a looong drive. They could flog it all the way and it's not until a month later the motor or some other part goes. Really you can only say superficially it's in the same condition.

If it were me I'd take a cut in price and sell it for what I could get for it or fly down and get it. No way I would have a stranger drive my car that far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hell no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't trust anyone in Gumtree...I've had so many dodgy ppl stuff me around. I'd find someone via friends or hire a company over a complete stranger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't... If you are going to pay someone to do it, why not pay a family member or friend who wants to visit you and then buy them a return airfare?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the responses. DH is now saying a firm no to my crazy idea. I guess he's right, and all you guys who said no too! It's a bit risky. Will think about if there is someone who can drive it up for us and pay return air fare, good idea SA girl. I didn't know there are companies who deliver for you. Shows my ignorance! I will look into the price of that too.