+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    both are good.

Cruises are good especially if your kids like kids club type things, arranged activities etc. There is still plenty of family time and relaxing or doing things together - but you also get a break while they are stimulated doing fun things.

On a resort/beach ... its super relaxing as its just you guys. There is a bit less to do at times, but it totally depends on the type of holiday you want - sometimes that is exactly what you are looking for.

with a cruise I found that the kids met other people more, and made friends a bit easier (and us too) because you are all there at the same time. With a resort, people are coming and going all the time, so often the person you meet and find friendly is leaving the next day.

Anyway - both are awesome (but I am in holiday mood so anything is fantastic at the moment (

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I looked into cruising a few months back- the cruise critic (as suggested) was excellent and had lots of reviews. I initially liked the sound of Carnival Cruises ex Sydney, but all rooms have balconies and I couldn't handle that with little ones, so we are now looking into P&O with external interconnecting- they have windows but no verandah. It is a little tricky with 5 people as it means 2 cabins. Also, I would like to try south pacific, but most cruises land in Noumea on a sunday and reviews suggest most shops and businesses are closed. Has anyone been to Noumea on a Sunday? I am thinking we might try a 3 night sampler first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    @loodle - that sounds great. Disney have a pretty good reputation.

where is the cruise to?
    We leave from Port Canaveral and cruise through the Caribbean stopping at St Thomas, St Martin and Disneys own private Island. It's a 7 day cruise but there are shorter 4 day ones through the Bahamas. Because we leave from Port Canaveral we added a 2 week stay at Disney World afterwards as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just found this:

http://www.pocruises.com.au/findacru...ruiseCode=W513

It is the exact dates we can go! We were planning to Noosa though!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (05-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    We leave from Port Canaveral and cruise through the Caribbean stopping at St Thomas, St Martin and Disneys own private Island. It's a 7 day cruise but there are shorter 4 day ones through the Bahamas. Because we leave from Port Canaveral we added a 2 week stay at Disney World afterwards as well
    We did a cruise out of Orlando (well, quite a few years ago now) ... it was awesome !!!

We did a Royal Carribean one, but they all go to the same places etc.

Actually it was pretty similar to that - St Thomas, St Martin and we went to Nassau (which was ordinary).

couple of things
    - go to NASA - Kennedy Space Centre. Its amazing.
    - we did not book any tours on either St Thomas or St Martin. On St Thomas we got a tour on the island for 1/4 of the price of the ships one, taking you around doing all the same stuff. It was good. On St Martin we just stayed in town, swum at the beach, shopping etc which was also lovely.

- we did a 'snorkelling' tour at Nassau (Bahama's) which was very ordinary. Queensland beaches and snorkelling is WAAYYYY better than Carribean (where the cruise boats take you anyway)

- Disney World - is amazing. So much bigger than anywhere else .

- actually Orlando is one place that I would suggest you to actually stay at a Disney hotel. The theme parks are a bit out of town, and you end up spending quite a bit on transfers to and from the parks.

- there are quite a number of parks. I think there are 4 Disney Parks, 2 universal studios parks, seaworld and there is also a legoland.

We only went to the Magic of Disney one, the 2 Universal ones and SeaWorld. we had no kids so the Disney one wasnt so good for us (but was still great, would be awesome with kids). The Universal ones were fantastic, and Sea World was absolutely amazing !!!

We did the Kennedy Space Centre day as the final day of our cruise ... they had a thing where instead of just disembarking, they did a Tour to the space centre, held your luggage and the Tour bus dropped you in downtown Orlando afterwards. It was great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did a cruise out of Orlando (well, quite a few years ago now) ... it was awesome !!!

We did a Royal Carribean one, but they all go to the same places etc.

Actually it was pretty similar to that - St Thomas, St Martin and we went to Nassau (which was ordinary).

couple of things
    - go to NASA - Kennedy Space Centre. Its amazing.
    - we did not book any tours on either St Thomas or St Martin. On St Thomas we got a tour on the island for 1/4 of the price of the ships one, taking you around doing all the same stuff. It was good. On St Martin we just stayed in town, swum at the beach, shopping etc which was also lovely.

- we did a 'snorkelling' tour at Nassau (Bahama's) which was very ordinary. Queensland beaches and snorkelling is WAAYYYY better than Carribean (where the cruise boats take you anyway)

- Disney World - is amazing. So much bigger than anywhere else .

- actually Orlando is one place that I would suggest you to actually stay at a Disney hotel. The theme parks are a bit out of town, and you end up spending quite a bit on transfers to and from the parks.

- there are quite a number of parks. I think there are 4 Disney Parks, 2 universal studios parks, seaworld and there is also a legoland.

We only went to the Magic of Disney one, the 2 Universal ones and SeaWorld. we had no kids so the Disney one wasnt so good for us (but was still great, would be awesome with kids). The Universal ones were fantastic, and Sea World was absolutely amazing !!!

We did the Kennedy Space Centre day as the final day of our cruise ... they had a thing where instead of just disembarking, they did a Tour to the space centre, held your luggage and the Tour bus dropped you in downtown Orlando afterwards. It was great.
    We are staying at disney's Polynesian resort and have a 10 day park hopper ticket so will have a few days spare and were thinking of spending a couple at universal and going to NASA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    wow - that looks fantastic ...

when next year?

there is a note on the website that the pool will be closed for renovations (said July 2014 - March 2015 ... so make sure that isnt extended ... but sounds like they are doing amazing things there so will be even better once its done )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    LOTS btmac

The cruise I am doing is this one
    http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/fin...&cruiseType=CO

Venice,
    Dubrovnik (Croatia),
    Kusadasi (Turkey),
    Santorini (Greece),
    Katakolon (which is the ancient Greece city of Olympia)
    and back to Venice.

Its a 7 night cruise - and the price includes pretty much everything - food, great facilities and entertainment ... not drinks though.

We are getting a balcony cabin as DD will share with us and only balcony cabins and above have a sofa bed (below that have pull down bunk style beds which DD doesnt like .. and the rooms are too small for 3 people)

The total cost of the cruise is $5,500 (including prepaid tips).

I have also booked a private tour at Olympia which is $250, but wont do any ships tours (too expensive for what you get). Our tab for the cruise for drinks/extra's etc is usually about $600 or so ...

So roughly $6,500 for the week including spending money.

So - they are expensive .. but oh so amazing
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 05-09-2014 at 14:19.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (07-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    I looked into cruising a few months back- the cruise critic (as suggested) was excellent and had lots of reviews. I initially liked the sound of Carnival Cruises ex Sydney, but all rooms have balconies and I couldn't handle that with little ones, so we are now looking into P&O with external interconnecting- they have windows but no verandah. It is a little tricky with 5 people as it means 2 cabins. Also, I would like to try south pacific, but most cruises land in Noumea on a sunday and reviews suggest most shops and businesses are closed. Has anyone been to Noumea on a Sunday? I am thinking we might try a 3 night sampler first.
    Carnival do have 1 deck of outside cabins ie window you can't open with no balcony. As well as inside cabins. The outside cabins are on about the lowest deck if the ship. Good for sea sickness.

Can't help about noumea, not sure what day we went but it's expensive there. I'm not sure if it's true but I did hear that they have to stop at noumea to be allowed to stop at other places.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (05-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow - that looks fantastic ...

when next year?

there is a note on the website that the pool will be closed for renovations (said July 2014 - March 2015 ... so make sure that isnt extended ... but sounds like they are doing amazing things there so will be even better once its done )
    Our cruise leaves the last weekend in August before that we are going to spend a week in California and drive down the Coast from L.A to San Diego I can't wait