+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to partially wean

I am returning to work in 6 weeks, DD is 5 months next week. Expressing at work is not an option so I need to know how I can partially wean her. I would like to still breastfeed in the morning, evening and early night if possible. DD feeds on demand, usually every 2 hours during the day but I am assuming she will go longer periods when she is on formula. I know I have to drop one feed at a time to reduce the risk of mastitis but I feel at a loss of how to start. I will be away from her from 7am until 4.30pm for 4 days a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I know people who've gone back to work and mix fed and continued to BF successfully when home.

With weaning, it's best to drop one feed over a period of several days and then drop the next one. So maybe start by replacing a mid morning feed with formula for 5 days or so and if you feel like your supply has adjusted, move on to the next one. You might find that bub will resist taking a bottle from you because they know you've got the other stuff so you could have your DH or mum etc...give the formula.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gradually drop feeds & replace with formula one by one over as long a time frame as possible. I did this no problems, & mix fed til 15 months, & I would have gone longer if I didn't fall pregnant & just felt like it was more work for my body to produce milk when I had morning sickness etc. It's totally doable. I did it at 10 1/2 feeds though so it would be a bit more feeds for you to drop, but if you think your supply is suffering you can always do a bit of expressing (but u probably won't have to)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks girls. It all seems like its too hard, so much easier to pop the b00b out when necessary.... I've been delaying the inevitable but now there is only 6 weeks left I cant put it off much longer

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app