+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! No bottles for me thanks mum!!

Hi everyone

I'm going to be leaving my baby soon for 48 hours. She will be 15 weeks old. I was planning to wean by then but both her and I are enjoying breast feeding so I'm reluctant to give it up just for a weekend away. I have trialled her with formula when she was a few weeks old and she took it fine, no issues (had about 3 bottles in a 2 week period). I have tried again recently and she is flat out refusing a bottle. So I tried different bottles with no success. I have now started expressing for her milk while I'm away and she won't even take EBM in a bottle!! I'm so disheartened, I don't know what else to try. I've had my mum try and feed her as she will be looking after my children while I'm away but no luck there either. My mum said she will eat if she's hungry enough, but how can I enjoy my weekend away thinking my baby will be so upset because she wants her milk straight from the source! She literally gags and screams when trying to give her a bottle, it's like she's being tortured

Any advice please? I've been looking forward to some time out but now it's looking like it won't happen.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FlipFlop For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (30-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oooh that's a tough one. You poor thing. I'm not really sure. Could you try giving EBM to her from a little cup. Might be messy and time consuming, but it might work. I guess otherwise keep persisting with the bottle right up until it's time for you to leave. Can you wait until the very last moment to cancel?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

FlipFlop  (30-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried different types of bottles, different teats etc?

Blerg, I just saw where you said you did. Have you tried tommee tippee closer to nature ones?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

FlipFlop  (30-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    If she's gagging, the flow might be a bit too fast? I would try the slowest flow teat and persist with your mum trying the bottle when you aren't in the house - have her come everyday/few days in the morning or whatever time bub usually has a big feed.

Two of mine would never take a bottle from me but the couple of occasions when I wasn't there, DH had some success but out took some persistence on his part.

Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

FlipFlop  (30-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you considered using a syringe? It's very time consuming but it might be gentler and less intrusive than a bottle.

My mum does childcare and that's how she fed a bottle-shy breastfed baby.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

FlipFlop  (30-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies

I have tried different teats and bottles but not the closer to nature ones. I've tried 3 different chemists (large ones) and not had success in finding them! Might try the supermarket.

I am using the lowest flow teat, the one for newborns and she starts gagging from the teat - no milk has even come out yet, she just gags.

I thought about trying a cup but the syringe idea sounds pretty good. She's such an easy baby and my mum knows her routine back to front and puts her to bed often with no dramas. I would be very disappointed if I couldn't go away just because I can't detach my boobs haha.

With the syringe, how would you know if she's full if you're the one squirting the milk in as opposed to her voluntarily taking a bottle and not taking anymore when she's full? Hope that made sense!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try a variable flow pigeon brand Y cut teat.

They are diff to regular teats by the fact they only get milk if bub sucks rather than the continuous drip of a normalteat