+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont tip. Ive had friends who have been delivery drivers and were surprisingly well paid

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I do tip- pizza delivery, taxi, whatever. I don't mind rounding up and paying it forward now and then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    Except they have other costs which independents don't have to pay.
    Royalties and advertising costs. They are sometimes also seen as easy targets by landlords to charge above market rent.
    True - although on the other hand they are often considered a draw card tenant so their chain can negotiate much better lease terms than a single entity restaurant can.

A single entity restaurant also has to source its own suppliers and negotiate terms for them. A franchise generally has all that organised for it at far more attractive rates than a small restaurant could ever manage.

There marketing and publicity costs a franchise pays buys them far more exposure than they could otherwise get for the same amount of money if they weren't part of a national chains and of course is far more lucrative than it otherwise would be.

A national or state wide Pizza Hut or Domino's ad campaign for $5 pizzas will bring in far more customers than any campaign by a small loca restaurant - hence they can offer $5 pizzas when a local pizza restaurant simply couldn't produce a pizza for such a small amount and sustain their business.

And as @Sonja mentioned, I wouldn't want a local pizza place to make a $5 pizza because it would taste BLERGH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    And the pizza usually tastes like cr#p if it's a chain
    Too true. Too true.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    But then where do you draw the line at tipping? If you don't think delivery drivers get paid enough so you tip them, would you also tip petrol station attendants, checkout chicks, shop assistants, child care workers etc?
    I get what you're saying here. Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't tip delivery drivers. I was just saying that I don't think it's as black and white as you suggested. It's not as easy for some people to just 'get a better paying job'. So that wouldn't be my reason *not* to tip, iykwim. I don't see a problem with tipping someone who stands out as doing an amazing job. Just like I would write a letter to the manager of a petrol station attendant or a macca's if I got amazing service. I wouldn't be considering what their income was or anything because it's not about that to me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (30-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    True - although on the other hand they are often considered a draw card tenant so their chain can negotiate much better lease terms than a single entity restaurant can.

A single entity restaurant also has to source its own suppliers and negotiate terms for them. A franchise generally has all that organised for it at far more attractive rates than a small restaurant could ever manage.

There marketing and publicity costs a franchise pays buys them far more exposure than they could otherwise get for the same amount of money if they weren't part of a national chains and of course is far more lucrative than it otherwise would be.

A national or state wide Pizza Hut or Domino's ad campaign for $5 pizzas will bring in far more customers than any campaign by a small loca restaurant - hence they can offer $5 pizzas when a local pizza restaurant simply couldn't produce a pizza for such a small amount and sustain their business.

And as @Sonja mentioned, I wouldn't want a local pizza place to make a $5 pizza because it would taste BLERGH.
    They are mostly owned by small business. The family next door who have borrowed half a million dollars to buy into these companies. They also don't have much if any say in these $5 marketing campaigns and probably make less than $1 from each pizza they sell at those prices.

The families who are buying the Pizza Hut and Dominos are usually trying to get value for money unfortunately not gourmet. I know that I can feed my family the cheapest on takeaway pizza than any other takeaway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't tip but I do write/tell management if I get great service.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My pizza place already charges $4.50 delivery fee so I would hope that means the driver earns a decent hourly rate.

It usually costs us $40 for pizzas delivered so I can't afford to tip on top of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry Nancy Blankett I'm just trying to point out that people, young Australian families still own and operate your local Pizza Hut, Dominos or Eagle Boys. They have paid a lot of money to buy their area and are run like any other small business. They employee local people, they use local electricians and plumbers, they pay taxes and superannuation. They are still struggling Aussies like most of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We always tip for good service. Its remembered and we get even better service next time we are there.