+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It is daunting thinking about travelling with a toddler but I have found the thought worse than the reality.

I always ask for a bassinet, even though my kids have been too big for them at the time of travel. But it gives u heaps more leg space (where DS can play) and you can store your toys in the bassinet!

I recently took pegs on our flight, and they entertained DD for hours!!!!! I would peg them on her shirt and she would pull them off, or peg the blanket they give u to make a little house etc. who would have thought?! (and they came in really handy on our trip for washing and pegging curtains together that were letting too much light in at rest time!!)

I bought a cheap magna doodle which was a hit and a big motor bike that zoomed along every seat on the plane.

My advice would be; don't let ds roam the isles until you are desperate. Once you start he won't want to stop.

Good luck! You will survive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to traveler For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but just wondering if all airlines require a car seat for an 18 month old? We'll be in the same boat next year and I just assumed DS would have his own seat.
    I'm flying with Air NZ in a few weeks and a car seat is required if you are booking the infant (<24months) their own seat.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a word of warning, majority of airlines will only take American car seats in the cabin. They can't take our seats because of the top tether. Domestic qantas and jetstar seem to be the exception.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Hi Renvind, with such a long flight, I can recommend a night flight. We left for Europe from Syd at 930pm and after dinner, a bit of tv and activites, our boys (2 and 4 at the time) went to sleep- 10 plus hours during full waking day hours is a long time to keep a little on quiet/occupied/settled. Even if your DS slept for 5 hours, that is half the trip taken care of. I was as strict as I could be about not getting out of the seat, except for a trip to the toilet, and took ALOT of snack foods that I thought were acceptable to keep them occupied. Lots of little cars and things wrapped in paper is a great idea to give them out throughout the trip. All the best x
    Thanks, I am hoping to get a night flight and hope that he sleeps, but he is not a good sleeper away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    It is daunting thinking about travelling with a toddler but I have found the thought worse than the reality.

I always ask for a bassinet, even though my kids have been too big for them at the time of travel. But it gives u heaps more leg space (where DS can play) and you can store your toys in the bassinet!

I recently took pegs on our flight, and they entertained DD for hours!!!!! I would peg them on her shirt and she would pull them off, or peg the blanket they give u to make a little house etc. who would have thought?! (and they came in really handy on our trip for washing and pegging curtains together that were letting too much light in at rest time!!)

I bought a cheap magna doodle which was a hit and a big motor bike that zoomed along every seat on the plane.

My advice would be; don't let ds roam the isles until you are desperate. Once you start he won't want to stop.

Good luck! You will survive.
    These are great ideas! I did think about the magna doodle, at least he can't digest this. And I like the basinette idea too - he is smaller than average so I think we will ask for a basinette, and like you said, I can use for storage.

I'm anxious about walking down the aisle - I know it's a bad thing to start and once he has found it he won't want anything else...he's starting the throw yourself on the floor kind of tantrum too! Oh this will be fun!

I might ask the Dr for a sedative for myself lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are pretty good now but I did go to Hawaii with them on a night flight last year. Ds2 was pretty upset for the first part but what really helped calm him down was Brauers Calm.

Just chilled him out a bit enough for him to sit and slowly fall asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember once someone telling me a GP allowed them to give their toddler phenergan. It's an antihistamine that makes you drowsy.
    I'm sure it wouldn't hurt for the flight up and back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for this post, flying by myself to the US with a very active 14 month old in October, so nervous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did the flight to Hawaii with a 19 month old earlier this year - and he didn't have his own seat (we flew Qantas, but worth checking with your agent because Hawaiian Air quoted us a ridiculous amount just for the little one to fly on our lap - not even on his own seat. That was a determining factor for us to go with Qantas). We did have 4 adults though, so had a little more space. The overnight flight there couldn't have gone better - our little one watched tv until he was tired (about 45 minutes) then slept the whole way there. The flight back was a day time flight though - we were armed with stickers, new books, small cars etc and also the iPad. Every hour, we took a long stroll up and down the aisle. Lots of little snacks in small packets. Be over-prepared - pack more than you think you will need to entertain them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I remember once someone telling me a GP allowed them to give their toddler phenergan. It's an antihistamine that makes you drowsy.
    I've considered phenergan but I'd never use it. Way way way too strong for my liking, and I might be wrong, but I don't think kids under 2 are able to have it anyway.

But each to their own...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I know a lady who gave her toddler phenergan on a 8 hour flight and it had the opposite effect. It sent him hypo. She said that he was a nightmare!

I haven't used it but I would have thought if you were considering you "might" need to use it to test it at home for the first time in case of an adverse reaction.