+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips for flying with active toddler

Hi there, we are going on a long flight (10 + hr) in a few months and I am just after some tips on how to manage this with my very active 18 month old. He's the toddler who will run off immediately while others are happy playing in one spot lol. He's very active and can't sit still. Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) he's not really interested in TV or the tablet so we can't rely on that during the flight.

Because of finances plus the requirement to use a child car seat if he has his own seat on the plane (this would make our stop overs extra bulky), we have decided that he will sit on our lap.

As you can imagine he is also not an easy sleeper anywhere other than home.

I know this is going to be a tough experience but does anyone have any tips on managing an active spirited toddler on a long flight?

Gulp.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We flew with DS when he was around that age (flight was about 5 hours). I was absolutely dreading it, as he sounds just like your toddler! Thankfully our little guy likes the ipad - it helped a lot.

Tricks that might help are packing lots of little snacks to keep him busy, buy him a couple of small new toys he can open on the plane (we got DS a plane and a matchbox car). I would also suggest colouring in stuff, even though that doesn't work for my child (unfortunately!). The occasional walk up and down the aisle might help too.

Both the flight over and the flight back my DS slept for part of the journey. Hopefully yours will too

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing...we are taking a 6 hr flight with our active 21mth old on Monday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! Unfortunately my monkey still likes to eat crayons rather than draw with them! I know my son will like running up and down the aisle but I know there are limits to that. Maybe an overnight flight - a friend mentioned rescue remedy might help him sleep.

The matchbox car is agreat idea - he's obsessed with cars.

What other little presents are popular and entertaining at this age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does your son still put things in his mouth? Of not, I suggest a plastic jar and some coins. My DS loves putting the coins in a slot (I just cut it out of the lid) and unscrewing the lid once they are all inside. It's small and not too messy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to go off topic, but just wondering if all airlines require a car seat for an 18 month old? We'll be in the same boat next year and I just assumed DS would have his own seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't do it! Ha.
    You never can tell till you get in board I've found. My DD was a dream flying to UK and back - but was a shocker a month later doing a 2hour internal flight.

We've never taken a car seat on board. From having her own seat at 2 she has just had a seatbelt like ours.
    At 18mo he'll only have his own seat if you pay for it. If not will be on your lap.

Stickers were a big hit and distracted her when needed

My only other tip is one of you order a special meal so it arrives at a different time than all the meals. Means one can entertain bub whilst the other eats.
    Have fun!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they are still using a bottle, make sure you use it for take off and landing. I have issues also, and Sudafed helps a lot with the ear pain (popping ears doesn't work).

Puppets are also a good one, as well as puzzles for our kids. They don't make a lot of noise, but are interactive. My kids are also into the usual books, games (iPhone), and movies and overall do alright.

I usually also go to the $2 store and buy complete junk that can just be thrown away. I've also heard about wrapping new things for them, so the kids get that thrill of opening something new every few hours.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Does your son still put things in his mouth? Of not, I suggest a plastic jar and some coins. My DS loves putting the coins in a slot (I just cut it out of the lid) and unscrewing the lid once they are all inside. It's small and not too messy!
    Unfortunately he will either eat the coins or throw them but he also like putting things in jars etc so I could think of something to replace the coins - thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but just wondering if all airlines require a car seat for an 18 month old? We'll be in the same boat next year and I just assumed DS would have his own seat.
    I have to say in all the times I've travelled I've never seen a car seat on a plane so I was surprised to find this out myeelf. Maybe it's just the airline we are using.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Renvind For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (29-08-2014)