+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4 month sleep regression?

DD is almost 5 months (next week) and her night time sleep has gone out the window over the last 3 - 4 weeks, some nights are worse than others. Her day sleeps are fine. She is a catnapper but always has been so that doesn't bother me. She somewhat self settles, we put her in her cot awake then pat/ sing to her until she is alseep which is usually under 10 mins.

Last night she woke every 1 - 2 hours and wouldn't settle without a feed, although she would only feed long enough to put her back to sleep, then repeat a short time later. DP tried to settle her a few times but she just won't go back to sleep. She doesn't scream for a feed but you can tell she will stay awake until she gets one.

How do you tell if it is a habit forming or just a phase? She doesn't feed to sleep during the day and has no negative sleep aids other than a few minutes of patting. I'm going back to work in 5 weeks and it is really worrying me that I won't be able to function at work on such little sleep.

She is my 3rd child but I have not been throughout this before, both my boys were sleeping through by 12 weeks (with dummies, DD will not take a dummy)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Sorry, I'm no help, but subbing,for DS due soon.

I was going to say negative sleep association, but you've ruled that out.

Is it cold where you are?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She has a heater in her room so the temp stays pretty much around 19 - 21 degrees.

I'm totally happy to feed her if that is what she needs but I worry about habits forming, especially with my return to work approaching. I have never in my life been so forgetful and ditzy (for lack of better words!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's a negative sleep association? I thought anything that gets a baby off to sleep would be okay. Is it a cue that has become a dependency?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    What's a negative sleep association? I thought anything that gets a baby off to sleep would be okay. Is it a cue that has become a dependency?

Some people may disagree, but its a sleep cue that requires parental assistance.

A favorite baby friendly soft toy / comforter that they can cuddle at night whether a parent is there or not is still a sleep association but not one I would consider negative if bubs can find it on their own when they wake up.

Something like a parent bouncing a baby in their arms to get them off to sleep would be considered negative association as the parent would need to do the same thing at each night waking.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Azvanna  (04-09-2014)