+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default 15 month old suddenly a terrible sleeper? Help!

So DS3 is almost 15 months old. He has basically been sleeping through since around 8 weeks old (from as early at 5pm-7am, only had wake ups when sick or growth spurts) and all of a sudden in the last 3 weeks he is waking at least 4 times a night and having 2 night feeds, one at 10pm and one at 4am, they're always around the same time.

I still havent ruled out a growth spurt, because he is hungrier than usual and it could also be teething but he isn't waking up crying or screaming in pain, he's just whinging but if I don't feed him he will lay in his cot whinging for around 2 hours each time.

Any ideas on how to get him to start sleeping through again? Im considering removing his bottle he has to fall asleep at the begining of the night in case this is the problem but any ideas on how to do it gently as I have absolutely no interest in doing any form of CC or CIO with him, it is not something I feel comfortable with at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Bumping - anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing - must be do hard to have to re-adapt to night time waking a after he has been such a good sleeper. Does he have his molars yet? Both of my kids were awake for hours during the night when teeth(particularly molars) came through. Not upset or seeming in pain - just awake! So annoying. I don't have any tips for sleeping through but wanted to offer empathy and reassurance that it will probably pass soon....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and have you tried panadol/neurofen?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks. We havent tried nurofen or panadol before bed yet cos he is waking up at least 4-5 hours after he goes to sleep. Last night we tried nurofen at 10 when he woke and he slept until 2 which was longer than usual. We might have to try it before bed and see if that helps him, I just usually hate giving it unless he actually seems like he's in pain...

He doesnt have molars or eye teeth yet, he only has 6 teeth at the front (4 top, 2 bottom) so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont like giving it without obvious pain either...it took me ages to correlate the night waking with teeth as they didn't seem obviously in pain. Just wide awake for hours. We gave it when they woke up and it limited how long they were awake for. So frustrating and tiring. Good luck with finding a solution!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    A couple of things for your consideration:

1) could your DS be having a night terror? Is it be possible he is not fully awake when you go in and tend to him? If so the current medical recommendations are to resist the urge to physically comfort the child as this can wake the child and further traumatized them.
    - my ds1 used to have night terrors around the same age as your DS. Really confused me.

2) beware of new habits forming. Perhaps a toddler might wake for a reason (eg teething). If the child is fed every time, then a habit could be formed. Ie they could commence waking from habit and not the original problem (teeth etc). Then before you know it the child could be waking from need as their body has become used to taking in a certain amount of calories at night.
    - not saying don't feed bub. Just if you feel a habit is forming, put a limit on each feed and slowly wind this back (eg reduce by 2 minutes, 20 mls etc each feed). Or try and resettle first, then only feed if bub won't resettle.

3) protein: is your little one getting enough meat/lentils etc at night? Or has something changed diet wise recently?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks VicPark, we've actually found out its more issues with his ears, he has had recurring ear infections over the last 6 weeks and has some discharge in one ear. We gave him painstop and he slept through on Saturday night for the first time in weeks and then last night he was up screaming in pain all night. Dr today confirmed it.

The eating/diet change is definitely part of it too as he had gone off all his food since the troubles with his ears started, he nibbles but isnt eating anywhere near what he used to but food intake has never affected his sleeping through in the past (which can change I know) but even when he was having CMPI issues and barely drinking at 4 months he was still sleeping through.

But the getting him to sleep through again has gone on the backburner at the moment as its obvious now he's in pain and we also have so much else going on at the moment that if we have to co-sleep to get sleep and less stress, we'll do it.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply though, thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Thanks VicPark, we've actually found out its more issues with his ears, he has had recurring ear infections over the last 6 weeks and has some discharge in one ear. We gave him painstop and he slept through on Saturday night for the first time in weeks and then last night he was up screaming in pain all night. Dr today confirmed it.

The eating/diet change is definitely part of it too as he had gone off all his food since the troubles with his ears started, he nibbles but isnt eating anywhere near what he used to but food intake has never affected his sleeping through in the past (which can change I know) but even when he was having CMPI issues and barely drinking at 4 months he was still sleeping through.

But the getting him to sleep through again has gone on the backburner at the moment as its obvious now he's in pain and we also have so much else going on at the moment that if we have to co-sleep to get sleep and less stress, we'll do it.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply though, thank you.

I was just about to say ears!! My little DD also has strugged wit reoccurring ear infections this past 8 weeks and she has slept terribly. But with painstop she also slept through...

Her sleep is about my only indication she has an ear infection. Before the ears she slept through the night all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Your poor little fellow. Ear aches sucks dogs pineapples. If you are co-sleeping to get him through it then that's what needs to be done. Poor thing.