+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked
    163
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    This is a government job too (department of education). I have to answer each selection criteria. I think they expect at least a page long response per KSC. One of them will be longer.

    Should I be covering an overview in the answer too? For example, one of the criteria is 'strong operational knowledge in financial and human resource management'. So should I say 'financial management is ...... Blah blah blah' then go into STAR?
    Wow! A page long answer for each KSC?? That's crazy. I work in administration in higher education and we have to answer a LOT of KSC when applying for jobs, but just a paragraph each is usually enough.

    I wouldn't start with any explanation of the criteria - I just jump straight in to applying previous relevant situations/challenges I've been in, and I use STAR for each point - they mostly just want examples from KSC. I'm a bit cheeky too - sometimes I have a look at the required skills and attributes of PDs at a slightly higher level to my own, for a basis to work off in wording my CV and KSC answers. (not copying and pasting of course, but it's helpful to see how they word the core accountabilities, to know which direction I should be going with my answers)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    297
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked
    103
    Reviews
    0
    A page of STAR for each KSC usually involves more than one example for each.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to 79me For This Useful Post:

    cheekychook  (29-08-2014)

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bookwormmum View Post
    Wow! A page long answer for each KSC?? That's crazy. I work in administration in higher education and we have to answer a LOT of KSC when applying for jobs, but just a paragraph each is usually enough.

    I wouldn't start with any explanation of the criteria - I just jump straight in to applying previous relevant situations/challenges I've been in, and I use STAR for each point - they mostly just want examples from KSC. I'm a bit cheeky too - sometimes I have a look at the required skills and attributes of PDs at a slightly higher level to my own, for a basis to work off in wording my CV and KSC answers. (not copying and pasting of course, but it's helpful to see how they word the core accountabilities, to know which direction I should be going with my answers)
    It's a management job and the second highest level in school admin which is why the answers will be quite long. I'd struggle to answer some of then in less anyway. In saying that I won't waffle on, if I've covered everything in less than a page, I'll leave it at that.

    Oh that's a good idea. I'll look up the dimensions of work for the level above.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 79me View Post
    A page of STAR for each KSC usually involves more than one example for each.
    Thank you! ☺️

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked
    163
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    It's a management job and the second highest level in school admin which is why the answers will be quite long. I'd struggle to answer some of then in less anyway. In saying that I won't waffle on, if I've covered everything in less than a page, I'll leave it at that.
    Ah, ok. That makes sense. However daunting! Good luck

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bookwormmum View Post
    Ah, ok. That makes sense. However daunting! Good luck
    So daunting. It's what I do every day of my life but having to write it out with the thought that this is application determining my future is kinda stressful!! (If I don't get this I pretty much won't have a job!)

    Thanks for your help! ☺️

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked
    178
    Reviews
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    What are you hints and tips to answering KSC?

    I'm applying for a job with 7 KSC, so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

    Because the job is a promotion in my current workplace, I know what my boss will be expecting a smashing application.

    Anyway, would love to hear some tips!

    TIA
    My tip with KSCs is to save a few good examples for the interview.... Have some good examples in mind ready to go. The written KSCs/application needs to be good enough to get you an interview but the ones you can rattle off during the interview are usually what sticks in the panelists minds and land you the position above other candidates.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,868
    Thanks
    3,216
    Thanked
    1,513
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    I have mostly applied for Government jobs and I always use STAR as well, so S-situation, T-task, A-action, R-result. Make sure you are saying what you did, not the team etc. Make sure you are backing things up with examples. Do you have to write an example per selection criteria or (eg 300 x 7) or do you have to do just a statement? If it's a statement I usually like to find my really strong examples that touch on multiple selection criteria.

    Good luck - I hate writing job applications
    This. Keep it as brief as possible but you must ensure you're providing relevant examples and your part in them.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera View Post
    My tip with KSCs is to save a few good examples for the interview.... Have some good examples in mind ready to go. The written KSCs/application needs to be good enough to get you an interview but the ones you can rattle off during the interview are usually what sticks in the panelists minds and land you the position above other candidates.
    This is awesome, thank you. I hadn't thoughts of that!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheekychook For This Useful Post:

    Que Sera  (04-09-2014)

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone. I've probably spent 4-5 hours on it so far today and haven't really gotten too far. I have briefly covered every system/legislation in the first criteria and it's 2 pages long already. Still have more to do... But was getting annoyed by it so moved on to a different one!

    So far it's 5 pages long and 1300 words. Trying to stick with one page per criteria, apart from the first one.

    One thing I've realised, I do a lot in my workplace!!! LOL!!!!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Selection criteria
    By muzzy in forum Working Hubbers - Employed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 08:49
  2. Answering to name
    By Our Baby Dream in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-03-2014, 19:38
  3. Please help, discipline for rudeness back answering etc?
    By mmy2b in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-12-2013, 13:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays. We also offer outdoor programs during the summer months (Oct-Mar) at Rostrevor college.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!