+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How much do you spend on holidays?

Out of curiosity how much does everyone spend on holidays a year? I've just taken on a delivering catalogues job as we want to start travelling around and seeing Australia little bit by little bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We don't a holiday every year.
    This year we had our first big family holiday spent 4 k going to Melbourne.

We are doing a family holiday next year for dd1 21st birthday. It is what she asked for. We are going to the gold coast.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    it depends really.

Sometimes not very much, other times they are super expensive. depending on where we go and how long we stay.

this trip (next week) is to Italy and Switzerland for 5 weeks - so will be pretty expensive. Last holiday was to Singapore using frequent flyer points and hotel loyalty rewards, so cost us about $1500 all up for 10 days.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow an overseas trip for 1500 would be awesome :-).

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only really travel inside Australia at the moment as I just can't get up the courage to take 4 active young boys on a plane

We spend approx $5000 on a few small getaways and one longer holiday per year. Every few years we do a big (3-4 week) touring/driving holiday. I love getting away and always make sure there is room in the budget for it as some of my favorite memories as a child are of our family holidays. I want the same for my kids.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Entirely depends on where your going and of your paying for accommodation. Three of my trips....to Egypt, Oman and Sydney were so cheap cause I stayed with friends. For Singapore and Malaysia for 2-3 weeks I budget $8000 which includes airfares and hotels. You have to remember also how far your currency goes too. In Malaysia it's ×3 but in Singapore it's ×1.5 so doesn't go far.

In Sydney I stayed with my sis in her apartment in the city and it coat us still $800 with airfares.

Also all airfares I buy are always on sale! Our Sydney tickets were $49 each way.

We go away each year but not always overseas. We alternate between different places in vic and o/s. This year is different because we were going to postpone our holiday but thanks to a great tax return we can.

We are going to Port Fairy in October. Got a great deal from Scoupon. 2 nights for $169 when value is normally $389. 4 star accommodation.

Family holidays are really important to me. We never got taken on holidays as kids. So the expense doesn't bother me. Heaps of great memories.

Our big plan is a 5 year one to go to Italy and Dubai or another place in middle east. My son has family in Italy that he won't get to meet unless we go there. Cause of the euro it will be expensive.

I think you need to figure out where you want to go and what you want to do. Then research accommodation and activities.

My trips o/s were also cheaper because I went to other countries that were close. Like from dubai to Egypt was only $100pp cause it was so close. Egypt to Malaysia $200pp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always over budget by at least 2 grand cause you never know what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We went to NZ a few months ago for 10 days. With flights, hire car, accommodation, food, petrol & activities we probably spent close to $5000. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids under 3.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Beljane View Post
    We only really travel inside Australia at the moment as I just can't get up the courage to take 4 active young boys on a plane

We spend approx $5000 on a few small getaways and one longer holiday per year. Every few years we do a big (3-4 week) touring/driving holiday. I love getting away and always make sure there is room in the budget for it as some of my favorite memories as a child are of our family holidays. I want the same for my kids.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

yeah 4 young ones on a plane might be a challenge

I have to admit, its much easier for us - 3 is much cheaper as we can all share 1 hotel room, airfares arent much etc.

Bigger families cost so much more

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spend roughly $500 per day :
    $200 max on on accommodation
    $100 food ( that was 2 of us ) we buy lots of fruit and eat snacks, go to supermarket, have odd night of 2 min noodles, try and get breakfast included.
    $50 transport
    $150 attractions ( we use cheap sites and tourist books to get 2 for 1 or % off deals )