+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Should we go back to the Dr?

Ds3 is 7m.

He has bronchiolitis, as diagnosed by the GP 2 days ago.

It's a virus and so no meds.

However he now has heaps of yellow phlegm and slight temp. He isn't miserable but not super happy either. Off solids but happy on my boob.

I never know what to do in these instances coz they say it's a virus and that's fine, but I never know when to take them back.

Thks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nothing beats a mothers instincts, but the general rule is yellow is ok, green is the sign that antibiotics are required. If he's really phlegmy, having him in a steamy bathroom should help him cough some of it up. Hopefully others with little ones can provide more advice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

misho  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. Green is bad, I'll remember that.

I think he's borderline. I can see him getting worse for the weekend and of course our GP is closed then and it becomes more of a schamozzle.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If he seems to be getting worse throughout the day today, I'd go back tomorrow. Even if it starts as viral it might lead to an infection and need further treatment. Go straight away if his breathing seems laboured (sucking in really hard) or if he starts vomiting. I always find it so stressful when babies get sick! Always better to be over cautious IMO.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

misho  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never know what to do either, and i'm actually right where you are now- son has just recovered from flu and is now sick again but not as bad. I'm the mum thats always at the docs due to always worrying. Do you have a home visiting after hours gp service? Ee've got them in brisbane, so that option has always reassured me when the weekend is approaching and I feel stuck.

How is he today?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renvind For This Useful Post:

misho  (29-08-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    If it makes you feel better we took DS to the emergency room when he had bronchialitis. He had been diagnosed and had xrays but his breathing was so laboured that is scared me. It was night time so we went to the emergency at the local children's hospital. They hooked him up so they could see how much oxygen he was getting and were quite sympathetic. Given it's Friday afternoon and you're feeling uneasy I would take him to the GP if you can.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

misho  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renvind View Post
    I never know what to do either, and i'm actually right where you are now- son has just recovered from flu and is now sick again but not as bad. I'm the mum thats always at the docs due to always worrying. Do you have a home visiting after hours gp service? Ee've got them in brisbane, so that option has always reassured me when the weekend is approaching and I feel stuck.

How is he today?
    He seems better... So far so good!

Ye we do have the after hours GP if needed. But I'm hoping he's over the worst of it.