+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Replacing afternoon nap

My girls (14 months) are currently moving into only having one nap a day. I like the idea of still having a period of quiet time in the afternoon at some stage. I know some people do this with older children where they go to their bed and read or play quietly alone or nap if they need to. I think it is a nice settler for a while. I'm wondering what I do at this age though. Does anyone else have quiet time late in the afternoon when the afternoon nap goes? How do you do it?

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    What time would their one nap be? Both my girls and most of their friends, once they have dropped to one nap, have had that nap after lunch so around 12.30. Mine sleep for about 3 hours so once they're up around 3.30 it's go go go until bedtime! If you're wanting quiet time for them you could pop a DVD on or read them some stories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There isn't a real replacing of an afternoon nap but more a merge of both sleeps to one midday sleep of 2-4hrs for babies/toddlers. Only when preschoolers drop their midday sleep around 3-4yo that they rest instead.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybambino View Post
    What time would their one nap be? Both my girls and most of their friends, once they have dropped to one nap, have had that nap after lunch so around 12.30. Mine sleep for about 3 hours so once they're up around 3.30 it's go go go until bedtime! If you're wanting quiet time for them you could pop a DVD on or read them some stories.
    At the moment they still need to go for their first nap by 10.30 at the latest so they are up at about 1. I've been trying to put them down at about 3.30 but they rarely sleep now. They go to bed at 7.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd suggest you stretch them 5-10min a day till they go down at 11-2 ish and bring bedtime forward to 6pm till they adjust. You might need to give them a bigger morning tea or early lunch before their nap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I'd suggest you stretch them 5-10min a day till they go down at 11-2 ish and bring bedtime forward to 6pm till they adjust. You might need to give them a bigger morning tea or early lunch before their nap.
    I agree with this. It can take a while to adjust, so just do it bit by bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did it cold turkey with the morning nap, think it was harder for me to keep him entertained! Started putting him down at 12, now at 18 months he goes to bed at 1 & sleeps 2.5-3hrs... It's a little too long but in 33weeks with #2 & need the break (or nap myself) so suits for now, he goes to bed at 7 still but just happily talk to himself in bed fur about 30 mins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Obviously all kids are different, but I did the same as others and it worked well. I gradually moved the morning nap later. She's 23 months, and has been having her nap at about 12:30 for a good 7 months. I think to start with, I still put her down in the afternoon. She wouldn't sleep, but she'd usually chat quietly to herself for a while and get up a little happier.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little one is 11 months and sleeps 11-12 then gets cranky around 3 but doesn't sleep until 7 :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still trying to work this out with my 16mth old twin boys.

They will have a 2 hour middle of day sleep most days but then sometimes T1 will have early morning sleep and then 3pm sleep as well. Which gives me no quiet time all day as T2 is asleep in the middle!

Some days they will go back to bed at 3 together and not sleep but just chill out till we get them up. It all depends on the day and also how much they run around outdoors too!