+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    10mth dd had croup a few weeks back. It was horrible so big hugs to you. It broke my heart hearing her bark like that.
    We ended up taking her to hospital when after the coughing fits she was gasping for air. She had a steroid of some kind to ease the coughing and it helped a lot.
    After that we made sure to have the heater on, when she was cold it was much worse. We also had a cold mist humidifier next to her cot for the next few weeks until she was sleeping better.

Hope your ds is better soon.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (27-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My boys have had croup almost 10 times between them.

Croup is an inflammation of the windpipe. Panadol or nurofen would help with the sore throat and temp they may get. But once the croup starts making that horrid whistling, dragging sound, which they call stridor, you need to take them to hospital. Their breathing also starts to show that they are struggling. (Raise their shirt, if they are breathing faster then normal or their ribs show when they breathe, head to the er)
    90% of the cases we have had we have gone to hospital, one ended up being a 4 day stay.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (27-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all your tips. I popped into the ED and explained as above, hoping I wasn't wasting their time - thankfully was empty so I didn't feel too guilty.
    He has croup and tonsillitis so given dexametha-something and script for prednisone and antibiotics. He was really miserable by the end of examinations so I'm glad I went. Drs and nurses were so lovely

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (27-08-2014),White Mage  (27-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good news u know what's wrong and have antibiotics and the ready prep he will soon feel much better in 24 hrs

Thanks
    Reviews
    One more query! I'm assuming croup is contagious?
    I'm not too worried about DD as I assume when one gets something the other will too - but tmw we have DDs swimming and gym. Planning not to go but thought I'd ask you experts as I'm not sure and didn't ask early. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    The virus that causes croup is contagious but not all kids will get croup when they get that virus if that makes sense.

If you can keep DS that'd be a good idea.

Glad you got him seen to and that they were nice. Croup is sooooo common. Back on my nights we used to see 15 kids+ a night with croup.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (28-08-2014),Mmumm  (27-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's actually not really contagious it's the viruses that cause the croup that's contagious and it is usually before the onset of croup I would not worry or be concerned it says on internet etc it is but Drs say it's not no one has caught it off my son in my family or anywhere else if it was,everyone would have it. Don't stress if child is under 3 then keep good eye on them especially at night and always see ur dr to prevent it getting worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post
    Last edited by sajimum; 28-08-2014 at 07:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have always been told to keep our kids home from daycare for at least a day or two with croup. As a PP said, the virus is contagious.

ETA: my nephew caught croup off my DS. I would consider taking your DS to your daughters lessons if you can contain him and keep him away from other children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Croup goes through my kids daycare/kinder every other week. I remember dropping DS2 off one day, and there were only 2 other kids there cause the others were home with croup.

It's Hand Foot and Mouth Disease at the moment and 1 reported case of chicken pox.. yippee!