+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-community View Post
    Was there at Christmas just gone! I have a few places to add, someone may have said them:
    • Harajuku. Go there. Eat the crepes. It's an experience in itself even if you don't buy anything really. But you WILL buy things. Lol
    • Go up either Tokyo Tower or The Sky Tree (a little way across the city from each other). They're both pretty good, but I'd say if you're pressed for time then just one is enough. The Tokyo Tower mascot is hilarious.
    • The Peace Memorial Park and Museum at Hiroshima is one of my favourite places on earth. I've been twice (school trip then my holiday). I could spend hours upon hours there. Very solemn and heartwrenching but you can see just how far Hiroshima and Japan in general has come since WWII. I could go on about the place forever... but I won't. But I will say make some cranes and lay them at Sadako's monument. Made me feel all good inside to do it. Maybe I'm weird...
    • A note on Himeji Castle that @Shebes suggested - on my school trip (6 years ago ) it was one of the most beautiful things I've seen, but they've been restoring it for a while now (which won't be finished for ages) and the outside has a cover over it, and instead of walking up all the awesome tiny staircases and seeing the whole inside, it's an elevator ride up. Still a good view, but I was a little disappointed. If you're interested, it's just a stop on the bullet train line to Hiroshima, would be a half day trip on your way down, I'd say.
    • DISNEYLAND. Disneyland. I know you're going, but DISNEYLAND. Buy fast passes, or whatever they're called so you get on rides quicker. Otherwise you'll only get on a few things. The money is worth it. Make sure you do Cinderella's castle. You actually go UP the Disney castle! And another tip - anything you try to eat will take AGES to get. Food places are chocked full from opening to closing.
    I can't remember anything else you haven't listed at this stage...

And I'm a little bit gobsmacked that your DD's school won't be taking them to the Memorial Museum . It's a huge learning experience and either free or something like $3... Was my favourite part of my 2 and a half week school trip. Maybe that's just me though...

what was the weather /temps like over Christmas? we are thinking of going in January and im wondering if it will be too cold?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    what was the weather /temps like over Christmas? we are thinking of going in January and im wondering if it will be too cold?
    We got there just before Christmas and stayed until mid-January. It got progressively colder as we went along, though we did start in warmer cities (Tokyo area) and travelled to colder places (Hiroshima area). It was about 5-10 degrees most days. For me, it was fine for the most part, though if you're sensitive to cold it might be slightly uncomfortable.

If you get good thermal wear and do lots of layers with a big coat on the top, you should be fine. We walked nearly everywhere we possibly could, so the exercise kept us warmer too. Everywhere is heated, the cheapest hotel rooms included. The whole country is well prepared for cold weather. I can't comment too much on the temps later in January, as we headed to a ski mountain shortly after new year, so was obviously a lot colder than cities! It snowed in Hiroshima once or twice, but only for a few minutes at a time. It probably wouldn't snow in Tokyo or that area very often at all, mostly likely never. You generally have to go to more mountainous and country areas to get constant snowing, and if you do you'll just need another layer or two.

I'd recommend gloves for use most days, and good quality boots to wear most days.

Just for example, I'll describe what I wore on an average day:
    • thermal tights
    • jeans
    • singlet (thermal or normal)
    • another shirt/top (long sleeved mostly)
    • warm coat/jacket
    • socks (thermal or normal)
    • boots
    • scarf
    • beanie
    • gloves
    Some days was less, some was more. I would wear just tights or jeans sometimes, and both of those plus another top some days.

Wow that turned into a long post! Feel free to ask more questions if you have them Japan is a wonderful place to visit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-community View Post
    We got there just before Christmas and stayed until mid-January. It got progressively colder as we went along, though we did start in warmer cities (Tokyo area) and travelled to colder places (Hiroshima area). It was about 5-10 degrees most days. For me, it was fine for the most part, though if you're sensitive to cold it might be slightly uncomfortable.

If you get good thermal wear and do lots of layers with a big coat on the top, you should be fine. We walked nearly everywhere we possibly could, so the exercise kept us warmer too. Everywhere is heated, the cheapest hotel rooms included. The whole country is well prepared for cold weather. I can't comment too much on the temps later in January, as we headed to a ski mountain shortly after new year, so was obviously a lot colder than cities! It snowed in Hiroshima once or twice, but only for a few minutes at a time. It probably wouldn't snow in Tokyo or that area very often at all, mostly likely never. You generally have to go to more mountainous and country areas to get constant snowing, and if you do you'll just need another layer or two.

I'd recommend gloves for use most days, and good quality boots to wear most days.

Just for example, I'll describe what I wore on an average day:
    • thermal tights
    • jeans
    • singlet (thermal or normal)
    • another shirt/top (long sleeved mostly)
    • warm coat/jacket
    • socks (thermal or normal)
    • boots
    • scarf
    • beanie
    • gloves
    Some days was less, some was more. I would wear just tights or jeans sometimes, and both of those plus another top some days.

Wow that turned into a long post! Feel free to ask more questions if you have them Japan is a wonderful place to visit.

Thank you so much really appreciate it... today im planning the trip using this thread

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

BH-community  (01-09-2014)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Sonja I'll start a thread when I'm over in Japan (21 days today ) and share what we've worked out, what mistakes we've made and what we've loved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think you mentioned the wrong member

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think you mentioned the wrong member
    Well 21 days and 21 hours to be exact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] RaryGirl View Post
    Well 21 days and 21 hours to be exact.
    Now I'm completely lost - I think you intended to mention @Louise41 given I doubt I'll ever be going to Japan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Opps did too. I thought it was exciting (and brave! ) you were taking your little ones to Japan.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app