+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Japan is awesome, you will love it!
    I recommend a day trip or overnight stay in Hakone/Mt Fuji. We took a ferry around the lakes and got a lovely view of Fuji/mountains.

In Tokyo, Shinjuku station is the busiest in the world. We also spend many nights just walking around Shinjuku looking at lights, shopping and eating amazing food in little side streets.

The memorial park in Hiroshima is very sad but touching.

Night markets in Kyoto..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillac For This Useful Post:

Mod-RaryGirl  (26-08-2014)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you @Lillac ... we've been told to people watch at Shinjuku station and try and get on a peak hour train there as well. Not sure if I'll be brave enough for that ... lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like as great itinerary already! I loved Miyajima the best. Sad we didn't see any monkeys on the mountain though. You'll love the deer there, and in Nara too.

Another place I loved was Mount Koya (or maybe it's called Koya San). You get there by cable car and it's a serene, spiritual place. You can stay at a Buddhist monastery and their vegetarian food is fantastic! (I'm not vego)

I'm jealous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh sounds amazing!!

While in Kyoto you must go on Sagano train up to Arashiyama (famous bamboo forest).

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3965.html

The train ride itself is amazing and Arashiyama is where the bamboo forest is. It's breathtaking!

I haven't been to yet but there is a new tower called SkyTree in Tokyo!

http://www.tokyo-skytree.jp/en/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peonies For This Useful Post:

Mod-RaryGirl  (27-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Snow monkies for sure, sooo cute. And harajuku on weekends to see the teen girls all dressed up. I just love japan - everyone is friendly you'll have a ball

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] RaryGirl View Post
    Arashiyama Bamboo Grove ... is this the one you mean? Looks pretty impressive.

It is close to the Fushimi-Inari-Taisha Shrine which I wanted to see as well.
    Yep that's the one! I knew it started with A.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shebes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    Snow monkies for sure, sooo cute. And harajuku on weekends to see the teen girls all dressed up. I just love japan - everyone is friendly you'll have a ball
    Oh Harajuku ... that will be a must for DD as she wants to see the animai (sp?) come to life as such.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Sounds like as great itinerary already! I loved Miyajima the best. Sad we didn't see any monkeys on the mountain though. You'll love the deer there, and in Nara too.

Another place I loved was Mount Koya (or maybe it's called Koya San). You get there by cable car and it's a serene, spiritual place. You can stay at a Buddhist monastery and their vegetarian food is fantastic! (I'm not vego)

I'm jealous!
    I haven't looked at Mount Koya yet ... will google now. Thank you.

I wish we had longer in Japan as two weeks isn't long enough.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was there at Christmas just gone! I have a few places to add, someone may have said them:
    • Harajuku. Go there. Eat the crepes. It's an experience in itself even if you don't buy anything really. But you WILL buy things. Lol
    • Go up either Tokyo Tower or The Sky Tree (a little way across the city from each other). They're both pretty good, but I'd say if you're pressed for time then just one is enough. The Tokyo Tower mascot is hilarious.
    • The Peace Memorial Park and Museum at Hiroshima is one of my favourite places on earth. I've been twice (school trip then my holiday). I could spend hours upon hours there. Very solemn and heartwrenching but you can see just how far Hiroshima and Japan in general has come since WWII. I could go on about the place forever... but I won't. But I will say make some cranes and lay them at Sadako's monument. Made me feel all good inside to do it. Maybe I'm weird...
    • A note on Himeji Castle that @Shebes suggested - on my school trip (6 years ago ) it was one of the most beautiful things I've seen, but they've been restoring it for a while now (which won't be finished for ages) and the outside has a cover over it, and instead of walking up all the awesome tiny staircases and seeing the whole inside, it's an elevator ride up. Still a good view, but I was a little disappointed. If you're interested, it's just a stop on the bullet train line to Hiroshima, would be a half day trip on your way down, I'd say.
    • DISNEYLAND. Disneyland. I know you're going, but DISNEYLAND. Buy fast passes, or whatever they're called so you get on rides quicker. Otherwise you'll only get on a few things. The money is worth it. Make sure you do Cinderella's castle. You actually go UP the Disney castle! And another tip - anything you try to eat will take AGES to get. Food places are chocked full from opening to closing.
    I can't remember anything else you haven't listed at this stage...

And I'm a little bit gobsmacked that your DD's school won't be taking them to the Memorial Museum . It's a huge learning experience and either free or something like $3... Was my favourite part of my 2 and a half week school trip. Maybe that's just me though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did a bicycle tour in Kyoto through this site:
    http://www.kctp.net/en/tour/index.html

It was great, was a half day tour and took in most of the sites we wanted to see. Best part was it ended up just being the two of us and the guide, so really personal and informative.

In Tokyo, make sure you check out the food halls in the big department stores, they are amazing.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app