+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have a decent shopping centre walking distance away? Or somewhere else that has a parents room?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Heartstringz I'm with you + a toddler
    I feel I'll never get out again

A walk does help though.

If we lived close we could support each other.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The only shopping centres within walking distance are just the small ones - supermarket & some fast food outlets etc, there are no parents rooms. Id have to get the bus to one with a parents room

Dh goes out with me on the weekends, there isnt anyone during the week who could come out with me

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi heartstringz, to answer your question, im sure your baby will get enough stimulation without constant trips to the shops or whatever. If you feel comfortable just a short walk in the pram to a local park or even just around the block will be great for you and for bub. I found a local playgroup once a week, or a walk to the local library once a month, was enough excitement for my children and for me. Once a week, a short walk, 30 mins, would be a good healthy habit to try for. As you feel more confident and bub gets a little older, you will be happy to venture further. marie.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really, at his age, he's only just started to really pay attention to the world beyond the boob. EVERYTHING is new to him! Trips to shops etc can be too stimulating for some babies.

Now spring is close, even just going out to a rug on the lawn, carrying him around so he can look at the leaves, bang on the fence to hear the noise, feel the grass etc.

When you walk, no need to go far, just walk up and down the street. Boring, I know, but it means you're never far if feeding time strikes. Is there a park with a bench seat with a back nearby? This could be a quiet place to practice feeding out of the house while you get the hang of everything.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have some kind of yard? Picnic rug, nappy change gear, cuppa and some snacks? Just being outside does wonders for my attitude/outlook. And bubs will get plenty of stimulation from the grass, the sky, an interesting fence, the smells, sounds, etc...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lissy12 For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (26-08-2014),heartstringz  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt exactly the same way for a long time. The first few times I attempted it I would get so flustered and end up in tears, but it's really something you master over time so don't stress. Walks around the block or to a local park are nice as well... It doesn't always have to be to shopping centres.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A park or garden is probably cheaper and better for the soul than a shopping centre.

Bub will probably be happier watching leaves move in wind, looking and listening to birds or feeling the texture of grass on his feet and hands than anything you will see at a mall. Start with what you are comfortable with, maybe 5 minutes in your own garden on a rug, and move up from there. it gets easier

I'm not sure how old your bub is, but I found baby rhyme time at the library and local mums and bub group great for gentle social outings. The ones I went to were breastfeeding friendly, so no embarrassment if I needed to stop to feed or change. I met some lovely people and got good advice at both. Totally non scary and I really looked forward to both as a break for getting out of the house without worrying about crowds.

What about weekend swimming lessons when bub is old enough? You could go with DH and take turns going in the pool with bub each week if you like, but you would still have each other there for support to get to and from the pool, getting ready, getting changed after etc. I found swimming lessons to be really good fun (for babies and adults) and have met some lovely people that way. Where we go it's a lovely supportive environment - both the teachers and the other families in our class. I know DH enjoys it too, it's a good family activity to go to together. There are lots of dads there that get really involved and get right into it (whereas rhyme time and bubs groups are 95% mums or female carers in our area). Where we go for swimming the classes for bubs only last 30 min, so you are in and out of the centre in an hour and have the rest of the day free for other things. You will be surrounded by other families with little ones, so again not a scary environment if bub needs a feed or an emergency nappy change. Added bonus is that bubs sleep really well after swimming so mum and dad get some down time after class Something to think about or look into for the future if you or hubby are wanting something you can do together as a family on the weekend, because it's way less scary that you think (no huge crowds, rude people etc. )
    Last edited by clbj; 27-08-2014 at 11:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Clbj he will be starting swimming lessons once he's had his 4 month needles yes dh will come which will help

I did a 10 minute walk yesterday

Dh is going to help me do a practice trip on public transport at some stage

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by heartstringz; 28-08-2014 at 10:30.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi heart.
    I had a lot of trouble getting started too.
    Same, I only went out with dh on weekends for the first 3.5 months!
    Now I'm a pro at 5 months. It gets easier once you start and bub gets easier to handle