+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Student Seeking Participants in Australian Domestic Violence Survey

Hi all!
    I am a university student seeking participants for my thesis survey which is looking into the patterns of domestic violence in Australia.
    It doesn't take very long and the only requirements are that you are over the age of 18 and speak English. So please if you have the time it would be amazing if you could complete the survey via the link below,
    Kind Regards,

christiejade

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Deakin_Safety_Survey_Online

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Done

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Done

Thanks
    Reviews
    Done

Thanks
    Reviews
    ChristieJade I tried to do this survey but I became so p**sed off half way through. I'm not sure that your survey really captures the nature of DV. 85-95% of dv is not physical. It's mostly emotional via intimidation and harassment. Most victim do nothing to warrant this behaviour and your survey asks what the victim did to add to the event. You are not going to capture a true representation with questions like these.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Silver flute  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I can't even access the survey.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Guys, the survey is *about* drug and alcohol use... No need to jump down the OP's throat, it is a specific survey looking at one specific aspect of DV.
    Although OP I wonder if changing the title of this post to the title of the actual study would be better- the study doesn't specifically mention DV.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Renn  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I'm another one who assumed it was focusing on domestic violence, due to the title of the thread.

If anyone is interested, here's a bit more info from the survey page:

Full Project Title: Investigating the role of alcohol and other drugs in violence in Australia

Principal Researchers: Associate Professor Peter Miller, Dr Arlene Walker, Dr Beth Costa, Dr Lata Satyen, Professor Andrew Day, Professor John Toumbourou and Dr Shannon Hyder

The purpose of this study is to provide an overview of violence in Australia, with a focus on alcohol and other drug (AOD) related violence. Alcohol and other drug related violence is a major public health and social issue. It is important to study alcohol and other drug use and their effects on the experience of violence in the general population so that we can provide strategies to assist people who are affected by violence in the future. This project will provide information to assist health providers, policy makers, police, corrections and judicial bodies to reduce rates of violence in the community. This research project is funded by the National Drug Law Enforcement Research Fund

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a problem with the drug/alcohol/gambling, it was more to do with what a victim 'did' to add to the incident. I understand if the research was about 'perceptions of the causes of dv'. I think if someone wants to get a true representation of the dv experience then they need to be mindful that questions can re-victimise and misplace blame onto victims (survivors).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (27-08-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I don't have a problem with the drug/alcohol/gambling, it was more to do with what a victim 'did' to add to the incident. I understand if the research was about 'perceptions of the causes of dv'. I think if someone wants to get a true representation of the dv experience then they need to be mindful that questions can re-victimise and misplace blame onto victims (survivors).
    But it's not just a survey aimed at DV victims- what about people who answer who are perpetrators of violence? And as I said, the study doesn't actually talk specifically about DV, there are plenty of instances of substance abuse issues where both partners are abusing substances and may become violent towards each other. I think you need to look at the survey without framing it in the terms of the OP because I think it's misleading.