Closed Thread
Page 70 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nereid View Post
    @Jem70 I really hope you get better results this time. I still feel so in the dark about so much of this. I seem to respond well and have good numbers of embryos but have only ever heard of PGD (recently) through these threads. There's been no mention of it at all at my clinic (I'm with Bill Watkins at Tas IVF). Is it something that's only offered at select clinics? Do they test all embryos of high risk women? Or just the lower grade ones? Sorry for all the questions. The opportunities I have to ask questions of FS don't seem nearly enough..
    Thanks @Nereid and happy to share anything I can!

There's a lot of debate about PGD but my approach was it would speed up the process as i have quite a limited amount of time. The test offered by MIVF tests all 24 chromosomes so is supposed to be VERY accurate. But it is very expensive - $2500 flat rate to test up to four embryos. They test on day 3 and the results come through right before scheduled transfer. That can be the bad part as first time I got the phone call saying don't bother on my way to the clinic. That was quite shocking. I was more prepared second time but still a little disappointed that none of my three were ok. But honestly when you look at over 40 the statistics range from about 70-90% abnormal, so it's to be expected. My goal was always to try and get 10 embryos tested and if I don't get anything normal out of 10, then I have to consider giving up.

If I get a normal test result on an embryo, the success rate jumps from 5-10% in a cycle to 60% which is something to hold out for!

Ask your clinic - they may be able to send to melbourne for testing but that would mean having to freeze the embryos.

Although I've read reports out of the UK say there is a new trend to always freeze as they don't like transferring during a fresh cycle anymore because all the IVF drugs affect our bodies too much - interesting.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jem70 For This Useful Post:

Nereid  (21-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=SpringRain;7972245]

@Jem70 - I have a few more frosties, including my 2 PGD'd ones, so will look at transferring them over the coming months. Hope your follies & lining are continuing to grow, sending you some good vibes. I completely understand about the FS spelling out all the chromosomal abnormalities too xx I was in the same boat as you, with thinking I would be ok. Now secondary infertility has really bounced back to bite me. My FS told me that most people she sees are OK until about 37-38 or so, and from there it's highly variable.
    Really have all my fingers and toes crossed that you get a PGD normal one this cycle.

Thanks @SpringRain - I have a love/hate relationship with PGD. But I'm going to stick with it this cycle unless I only have one or two. I keep having this vision in my head that they will tell me I have three normal this time - but the likelihood of even one normal is such a stretch that some of my sanity is clearly seeping away with all the IVF drugs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jem70 For This Useful Post:

SpringRain  (21-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much @Jem70, that's so helpful. I can only imagine how hard those results must be to hear, but when you consider the cost of failed transfer after failed transfer without the testing, it certainly sounds worth it. And those success rates - gosh - really something to think about. I'll certainly look into it a little more.

I'm really torn at the moment between getting as informed as possible and feeling overwhelmed by information and stats. I want to hold onto at least some of that hope I began with for a while longer, however naive.

I think my FS is quite conservative in some ways, he prefers to do single 3day transfers wherever possible. But he's a good doctor, he gets good results and I trust him, so I'm leaning towards keeping to what he advises right now.

Thanks again and I will be cheering on your embies this week
    Last edited by Nereid; 21-10-2014 at 12:40.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nereid For This Useful Post:

Jem70  (21-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Nereid I am with Bill as well and have a lot of faith and trust in him. I have found him to be thorough and I know he keeps up with the latest research. I haven't spoken to him about PGD but it is something I would consider given the number of failed transfers I've had, I don't think TasIVF do it though.

I am in the process of trying to decide if I go for another stim and fresh transfer in January of if I go for one of my frozen embryos. Is fresh best or do I get my body in the best possible shape, no drugs, hormones etc and hope one of the 3 frosties is the golden egg?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesparrow74 For This Useful Post:

Nereid  (22-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @littlesparrow74 - I reckon the FET would be my choice, def get yourself in good shape and go for it. Put back 2 again maybe?

I just totally messed up my working afternoon and find myself on the train home!! I had an important meeting to attend at 2pm (I was presenting something at it) and I went to lunch at 1:30 knowing I only had about 20 mins to get back to the meeting. I was vagued out in the sun, feeling rubbish and wanting a nap and totally forgot all about the meeting. Rolled back in about 2:30 to find my boss and a colleague standing at my desk. Had to make something up off the top of my head about feeling unwell (which is not far from how truth as I feel pretty crap) and the next minute I am out the door!! Damned ivf drugs, I could not be more vacant right now!! I've never missed a meeting before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Kel what a day you are having. Blame the drugs, they really do mess with your brain. Pity you can't sit back with a wine and regroup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Kelly70 you poor thing - are you ok?

This stuff really affects your brain. It wasn't nearly as big but one of my big things last week was in front of 700 people. And I found out afterwards I called my co-speaker by the wrong name the whole way through.

I was mortified - we had only just met but I never do that and it was so insulting. He was very gracious when I apologised.
    @littlesparrow74 I really believe FET. Everything they say out there is in favour of letting the drugs out of your system and that some of the issue with implantation is actually around the IVF drugs making the environment wrong for the embryo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Penny75, it's good to see another person willing to take the plunge on doing it solo style, it's a big decision and its good that you are under 40 as it will be a bit easier. I was lucky enough to have success after 4 full stim cycles and one fet to get my baby girl, doing it solo as well. Am here cheering all the girls on and hoping for everyone's success.

I saw that egg freezing thing by Apple and Facebook. I thought unfettilised eggs still don't freeze as well and besides, they can't use that to keep you chained to the desk forever.

Jem are you going to do pgd ? I was originally booked in for it for my last cycle but didn't proceed with it because I only ended up with one embryo.

Kelly and Jem when are your next scans ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hels - next scan is thurs morning for me. Praying the little twins grow. My e2 is still really low. I called my nurse today and she said she was going to ask Lynn about poss of increasing my dose (I'm on 300iu Menopur nightly, the lowest I've ever been on). I didn't hear back today though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Helsbaby Thursday for me too. I'm scheduled for PGD but as I'm pretty sure I can't do another cycle this year - time-wise or emotionally - if I'm lucky enough to get 1 or 2 I'll just transfer. Anything more and I will PGD.

I have a decent lead follicle but all my others were still very small 5-6mm so I'm unlikely to have EPU before Monday or Tuesday next week, maybe later.

At least the drugs have totally calmed down now - apart from my brain not working too well and the shocking bloat, I'm over the headaches that goodness. Though I did fall over in the street for no apparent reason yesterday which was a new one!