Closed Thread
Page 69 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard that story the other day and was pretty horrified knowing what I know now. Hopefully the employees will be well counselled on the issues they may encounter and the probability of eggs/ embryos not surviving the freeze thaw process. I agree that a more supportive mat leave/ child care arrangement would be a wiser use of Apples money. As we all know $10,000 doesn't go very far in the IVF game once you are of an advanced age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome @Penny75 It's a brave decision you've made and I hope it turns out to be a wonderful thing for you. I'm quite new to IVF in my first cycle and have had just 2 transfers. Before I began I was very worried about the effects of the hormones and all the other physical things, but for me they haven't been nearly as bad as expected (though the few days after EPU were pretty awful). Things like injecting feel ok because they're a way you can actively work towards your goal, but by far the hardest part for me has been the emotional toll and the waiting for results. Be positive, you have good reason to be, but prepare yourself as much as you can for the emotional side of this journey and muster as much support around you as you can. Joining here seems like a good start :-) Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nereid For This Useful Post:

Penny75  (21-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was so needle phobic at the beginning I though I was going to have to go to the clinic or a GP every day to get the shots done for me. But as Kelly said, once you get over the first one, it really becomes easy. Yes I mean it - easy. My tip - icepack for 30 seconds and insert and remove the needle very gently and slowly - don't literally jab it in. I don't even dread the blood tests as much any more. @Penny75 you are going to be fine. Just jump in here any time you fill a bit overwhelmed - there's normally someone pretty close by

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jem70 For This Useful Post:

Penny75  (21-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sends the wrong message I think - it's all, drop a few eggs out into the bank then sit back at your desk and keep working for Apple. Followed by the "iEggs, we're not ready for you to have a family"... Is that the eggs or Apple that is not ready?? Ambiguous and a little bit dangerous I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly70 View Post

Can you girls see this link?:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...84045785005429

What are your thoughts?
    Ok I'm torn - I saw a panel on Today Show on this as well. I found it strange that all three women were over 50. Would have loved to see someone in their early 40s and someone younger still debating it.

I got annoyed when my company put tracking apps on all our iPhones and my biggest fear is to be sitting in the waiting room at MIVF and I see someone I work with, so must admit I'm not keen on making this sort of activity public.

Much as I support any attempt to educate young women on not leaving it too late really, so many of us have our head in the sand and I was no different - I honestly believed that I would be different and the first time i would get three good embryos so I had spares as well. That was a hard crash back to earth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty certain none of us in here chose to leave it this late to start a family. If I had known at 35 what I know now I would have started earlier but having 2 aunts who had babies in their early 40's I felt confident that if mr right hadn't come along by 40 I would start then. When I saw FS just shy of 39 I got a big wake up call but still naively thought "what will I do with the left overs" when I got 5 embryos from my 1st cycle.
    I would strongly advocate for starting as early as possible and not being dictated by career.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesparrow74 For This Useful Post:

Penny75  (21-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @littlesparrow74 I knew all the theory, but you are absolutely right - people don't talk about the 40s fails - you just hear about all the people who get pregnant in their 40s.

I suppose I still remind myself that I'd rather be single and childless than partnered with kids and miserable, which I believe my earlier options would have led to.

But I'm looking down the barrel of another PGD cycle - when your FS is spelling out all the chromosomal abnormalities embryo by embryo it is pretty sickening. Maybe that's why I couldn't get excited this time that my follicles are looking better than average for my age.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jem70 For This Useful Post:

Biscotti71  (22-10-2014),Penny75  (21-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Jem70 I really hope you get better results this time. I still feel so in the dark about so much of this. I seem to respond well and have good numbers of embryos but have only ever heard of PGD (recently) through these threads. There's been no mention of it at all at my clinic (I'm with Bill Watkins at Tas IVF). Is it something that's only offered at select clinics? Do they test all embryos of high risk women? Or just the lower grade ones? Sorry for all the questions. The opportunities I have to ask questions of FS don't seem nearly enough..
    Last edited by Nereid; 21-10-2014 at 10:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @littlesparrow74 - I'm so sorry to hear your news it always feels like a kick in the teeth. A little break to regroup sounds like a good idea xx

@Jem70 - I have a few more frosties, including my 2 PGD'd ones, so will look at transferring them over the coming months. Hope your follies & lining are continuing to grow, sending you some good vibes. I completely understand about the FS spelling out all the chromosomal abnormalities too xx I was in the same boat as you, with thinking I would be ok. Now secondary infertility has really bounced back to bite me. My FS told me that most people she sees are OK until about 37-38 or so, and from there it's highly variable.
    Really have all my fingers and toes crossed that you get a PGD normal one this cycle.
    @Kelly70, interesting links. I think it's great that egg freezing is becoming more main******, even though it may be less successful than freezing embryos. Certainly for the under 30-35's it's a good idea if they can afford it and will consider it. My FS has done several interviews around egg freezing.
    Hope your follies & lining do a bit more growing

Scuba, hope you are doing well.

Helsbaby, hope you and Angela are doing well
    @Penny75 & @Nereid, hello

Vix, BiB and anyone else I've forgotten

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SpringRain For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (21-10-2014),Jem70  (21-10-2014),Kelly70  (21-10-2014),Nereid  (21-10-2014),Penny75  (21-10-2014),ScubaGal  (21-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I heard the Apple story too - the cynic (and employment lawyer) in me says that it is far cheaper to offer a benefit like egg freezing that only very few employees will take up, than it is to offer a much more highly sought after benefit such as paid leave or childcare. I can't imagine having the 'I'd like to freeze my eggs' discussion with my employer - does that lead to discrimination? Two applicants for a promotion, both married, one has frozen her eggs and one hasn't... You'd hope it wouldn't be considered when selecting the successful applicant, but reality is I had an HR person (female) on the phone the other day who didn't want to return a mat leaver to her position because she liked the replacement better because 'she's younger, she's single and she doesn't need flexibility'. ... Oh dear ...

My view - a career waits, it might have some challenges but it will still be there, fertility doesn't wait and won't always be there.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

Biscotti71  (22-10-2014),BlondeinBrisvegas  (21-10-2014),Jem70  (21-10-2014)