+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your input!

I forgot to mention that I have already been giving DD Ivy Leaf Extract prior to seeing the GP which seems to have helped. GP suggested Manuka after I told her this too.

Thank you for the above article. I know honey is safe after 12 months but I just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything good, bad or ugly specifically about Manuka.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAG242 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Read the link I posted above

Manuka specifically has been shown to have anti microbial properties in vitro but the research on use in humans is limited, from memory.
    Much of a muchness.

I read the article to not specifically mention Manuka for cough management. I am super duper tired though and may be skimming (shifty eyes).
    I'm sure you can get wound dressings impregnated with Manuka honey. I may be making that one up though. I do remember having heard about the use of Manuka honey directly in wounds through colleagues years ago, though it is 10 years since I have been on wards and know what is the current "go" in wound care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    http://biorevive.com/product/prospan-infant-drops-2/

Can definitely be used for under 2's- I've tried it on DD under pharmacist's advice several times and she's 23 months. The first time she'd have been 14 months I think.
    Thanks for that. The pharmacist I spoke to said definitely not for under 2's. Irritating as he was so sick at the time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep - DS calls it magic honey! Whenever any of us look like we are getting a cough , sore throat or raspy voice I give a teaspoon of manuka honey ( I have 20+) and put it on toast in the morning - plus it's great for putting on burns or grazes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We use manuka honey for medicinal purposes here. We don't use it as a spread, but find it useful if someone has a cold/sore throat/cough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just read the back of the jar and says " not suitable for under 12 months" so 14 months no problem - it also lasts about 2 years so it seems expensive but will last you a while

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Just read the back of the jar and says " not suitable for under 12 months" so 14 months no problem - it also lasts about 2 years so it seems expensive but will last you a while
    I really appreciate you checking for me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JAG242 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yep - DS calls it magic honey! Whenever any of us look like we are getting a cough , sore throat or raspy voice I give a teaspoon of manuka honey ( I have 20+) and put it on toast in the morning - plus it's great for putting on burns or grazes
    Same as this. I love the taste and it keeps for a while so I don't think it's too pricey

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I say go for it.

Not related to coughs, but I once ate some dodgy spit roast port and my sister and i both had some rather odd gut issues as a result. She started having manuka honey and improved in a few days, mine hung on until I started having manuka honey too.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 25-08-2014 at 22:05.