+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hangingupsidedown View Post
    Thanks all! We've been using the little tiny medicine cup like they give you in hospital for infrequent top up when she was inconsolable and I was very sore. I don't think her issue is hunger though as my supply is ample. She wants to suck for comfort.

The dummy was a last resort today and she actually spat it out when she fell asleep. It will continue to be our last option as I don't want her relying on it.

The dummy aside I'm nervous about offering her ebm in a bottle..will keep the boob and dummy routine for now but I will need to offer her ebm in a bottle soon as the cup isn't going to cut it much longer.
    Why do you need to offer a bottle soon?
    Your nipples might be sore now but that does pass. If hunger isn't the issue- why offer top ups, you know? Cluster feeding is very normal in the first few months.
    Your supply is also not fully established at 5 days post partum- your milk is really only just in. Replacing feeds with bottles at this pint can damage or inhibit your supply unless you pump at the same time as the feed- and your body responds to the pump really well.
    If the pain is just simple tenderness, it's worth trying rite aid gel pads and using lansinoh to soothe you. If your nipple is coming out squashed or ridged right after a feed, or is grazed or split- you have a bad latch that I would recommend you get help for before throwing artificial nipples into the mix- can you access an IBCLC?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also- breastfeeding isn't just about food, you know- it's about comfort, security, connection and reassurance. Feeding "for comfort" is biologically normal and natural and not a "bad habit" or anything like that- it's what babies are meant to do. It's tiring at first- but it does settle

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. I'm going to offer boob exclusively for feeds to ensure things don't get derailed. I don't want to jeopardise the progress we've made so far.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hangingupsidedown For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had trouble BFing at first & midwives suggested everything. One midwife suggested a dummy. I said doesn't that cause nipple confusion and she said they really don't get like that until a month. We didn't need to use it at that time though. Then when I left the hosp after 5 days bc we were not BFing successfully yet I switched from tube/cup feeding to bottle feeding EBF but would try to breastfeed first each time. After 2 weeks we were breastfeeding successfully, but I would still give a bottle 1-2 times every week.

After a month bub started to use a dummy. I thought he was just wanting comfort bc he would throw up milk but still act like he wanted more. In hindsight I could have kept feeding him & letting him spew but in any case, neither dummy nor bottle ever slowed down breastfeeding and he never cared where his milk came from as long as he got it. But he was not a fussy baby - started giving 1 bottle of formula a day at 10 months bc he was going to day care and he took it without skipping a beat.

He would suck on his dummy but spit it out if he was really hungry. I stopped the dummy at 4 1/2 months and 24 hours later it was like he had never used it - no probs giving it up.

I did find it harder to recognize hunger cues with the dummy though. I plan to avoid the dummy if at all possible next time or just to avoid it as long as possible just for that reason. I think my supply could have been better & the cluster feeding would have been a good thing. But in your case if you feel it will help to use it, I would just monitor your baby and if you think it is interfering, stop. Your baby doesn't form habits that easily at this age so it won't be cruel to yank it back away again if you need to.
    Last edited by Eilonwy; 25-08-2014 at 23:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I think Atropos gave you some great advice!

The riteaid gel pads are amazing. Definitely worth getting if you haven't already.

My experience with DS1, I had to give him bottles of ebm when he was newborn as he had such a bad latch he caused damage and it was less painful for me to express. I still fed him from my breast as much as I could handle but it took awhile to heal and then get his latch correct. We introduced a dummy when he was 5/6 weeks old and I breastfed him until he was 2.

After that with DS2 I didn't need to give him a bottle because he attached perfectly and there was no pain. It was much easier not worrying about expressing and bottles.

I hope it works out for you.

"Insert witty signature here"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The main reason for ebm initially was the nipple pain and attachment issues but we are overcoming it now. It's still sore but I think it's more due to the damage already done. I'm using lansinoh, frozen nappies, cabbage leaves and rubbing milk into them. offering ebm now was more about my sanity as she had been up all night. But again we are overcoming that bump in the road too.

Wish they came with an instruction manual!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No problems here. DD was 2 weeks when i gave her a dummy...she was fantastic at breast feeding!!!

I took a dummy to the hospital for DS but he sucked his thumb instead and he was a breast feeding pro!!