+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does nipple confusion really exist?

I'm asking from the perspective of someone who's just gotten the hang of bf'ing my 5 day old after a painful start. However..next challenge. .. she seems to need a dummy to settle today as she would not stop crying for hours except when on my boob. I needed to rest my battered nipples so we gave her the dummy. She spits it out once she's in a deep sleep.

I'm also expressing for back up milk supplies for my husband to feed her if I'm sleeping but we've been feeding her from a cup due to being scared a bottle might throw everything into chaos with bf'ing.

So far today the dummy hasn't caused any issue with bf'ing.

I'd love to hear the experiences of others as I've found conflicting advice on nipple confusion...i know each baby is different

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Every child is unique so you'll get a range of responses.

With DD I needed nipple shields, formula/EMB top ups with a bottle and I would take the shield off later in the feed. She easily switched between all 3 with no dramas. I could drop the shields after a few months and mixed fed, again no drama going from breast to bottle or back again.

With DS, again I needed formula top ups but when I tried nipple shields he tried to suckle like a bottle (which caused agony!). He would feed off my bare nipple as well as a baby with posterior tongue tie could and switched easily from breast to bottle, no preference, even when TT was cut. Again mixed fed long term and always switched easily between the 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    All of my kids have been breastfed for at least 12 months. 2 had dummies. 3 have taken bottles of EBM. None have had nipple confusion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure it does exist but thankfully it hasn't been an issue for us. DS is 9 weeks old and we've been breastfeeding and topping up with EBM since he was 1 week old, he goes back and forth between boob and bottle without complaining.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No issues here..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 7 week old ds when I was in hospital the nurses told me to get him a dummy as he would just suck for hours, I asked them if he would get confused and they said no and he hasn't! This was when we were waiting for my milk to come in and the poor bub was starving it was the only thing that settled him. Fast forward a few weeks He only takes his dummy now occasionally. He has also had a bottle of ebm here and there since he was 6 days old no confusion. No way would I use a cup though! Just do what feels right for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At 5 days old, that constant sucking serves a purpose. It is what builds up your milk supply. I'd be careful not to use a dummy too often just yet (though I get the needing a break!!)
    Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. The demand (the suckling) is what builds the supply.

As for nipple confusion- yes, it exists. Join just about any breastfeeding support page on Facebook, there are often posts asking for advice on how to fix it. Each baby is different though. Some will develop a bad latch, or a preference for the bottle. Some will be fine. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Renn  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all! We've been using the little tiny medicine cup like they give you in hospital for infrequent top up when she was inconsolable and I was very sore. I don't think her issue is hunger though as my supply is ample. She wants to suck for comfort.

The dummy was a last resort today and she actually spat it out when she fell asleep. It will continue to be our last option as I don't want her relying on it.

The dummy aside I'm nervous about offering her ebm in a bottle..will keep the boob and dummy routine for now but I will need to offer her ebm in a bottle soon as the cup isn't going to cut it much longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the term 'nipple preference' is more fitting than 'nipple confusion', since I doubt babies are actually CONFUSED about where milk comes from, but instead prefer particular ways of feeding. That complaint aside :P...

Although I didn't have any issues myself, many others do. I decided to risk it at about 10 days as I really needed a break...obviously it's up to you! As Atropos mentioned though, if you want to exclusively breastfeed, you may want to be cautious of relying on a dummy TOO much at this stage. Constant suckling, whilst draining, is pretty normal at this stage and serves a purpose.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds2 had nipple confusion.

At 8 days old he got an infection, was in hospital. I was stressed out and forgot to express.

So when he got healthy I didn't have a good supply.

We started top ups via bottle (didn't know any better) and so he had no idea what to do when.

He loved the bottle, had no Idea what to do with my boob. Total nipple confusion.

BF over by 3 months