+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Swan Districts Maternity Ward

Hoping to hear recent experiences with Swan Districts Maternity Ward?

I am due to give birth there in early Nov and hoping to have a bit an impression on the place before heading in, I know everyone has a different take on whats good and bad and everyone's experience can be different but all Ive read is horror stories but they're from years ago and alot can change!

TIA

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had my 3 girls there latest one was August 2013

It's a small older hospital but kept tidy and has what it needs, the antenatal waiting room is quite small but that's not a real issue. The rooms are 2 beds in a room or 6 beds in a room and 1 or 2 private rooms. The shower and toilets are ok in maternity nothing fancy but nice.

I love the birthing rooms and you have your own shower and toilet ( think that's standard in any hospital) the staff I've never had a problem have all been nice and caring all my care and births went good and my request were meant.

The kiosk sucks and so does the parking haha

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

Wishnhope  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Parking definitely sucks but at least its free. DH was pating $8-10 a day when I was admitted to Joondalup!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My experience is a bit old - DS1 was born in July 2012 - and a bit different. I went to Swan Districts for all my antenatal care and found it fine. I started having complications at 28wks and they referred me for scans etc but the problem wasn't properly picked up until 1 particular doctor reread the results when I went in because I didn't feel right. I was then sent by ambulance to KEMH for an induction at 34wks. From what I saw of the birthing suites at Swans they were very nice and comfortable and the midwives were fantastic when I was being monitored and we didn't know what was going to happen. DS1 was moved to the Swans special care nursery (in the maternity ward) after 1 week and spent another 3 weeks there and the care was great. I then spent 1 night in the hospital maternity ward with him before I could bring him home. It was a shared twin room and wasn't the most peaceful stay due to my roommate having noisy visitors, the wooden floors creaking as people walked down the hallway and a patient a few doors down having a few issues. The showers/toilets were clean though and the nurses were happy to help with anything. They used to run a tour once a month for pregnant couples - might be worth looking into.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ziara For This Useful Post:

Wishnhope  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Swan Districts Maternity Ward

I've just had my little girl there, she is 11 days old. I can not speak highly enough of all the staff at Swan.

I was admitted antenatal at 35 weeks for 24 hours due to a bleed. I was in a 2 bed room by myself. After scans, they could find no cause and sent me home. 4 hours later I was back and in labour.

The midwives and doctor in the delivery suite were wonderful and made it a positive experience. As others have said, each delivery suite has it's own showers, which not all public hospitals do (bentley for one).

My DD had to go into SCN (Special Care Nursery) for 2 days on a glucose drip due to my GD) the staff in their were so supportive, providing reassurance and guidance while I was trying to feed her and when they were doing tests etc. They even did a few feed shifts for me on the first night so I could get some sleep.

Again I was in a 2 bed room by myself until the last night. It got a bit noisy when she had masses of visitors, but I would just go and sit in the recliners in the nursery where it was quiet and secluded and feed my DD. All up I was in for 5 days, no one tried to push me out early and they were always helpful and caring.

The only dr I came across that was a bit off putting was a locum I saw during an antenatal appointment. He was very old and made jokes and chuckled a lot.

The place is old but it has been renovated and is clean.
    Last edited by Rusalka; 28-08-2014 at 11:10.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusalka For This Useful Post:

Wishnhope  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely do a tour, I think it's on the first Sat of the month at 2.30pm.

They also run classes which include a tour of the delivery suites and maternity ward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    Definitely do a tour, I think it's on the first Sat of the month at 2.30pm.

They also run classes which include a tour of the delivery suites and maternity ward.
    Thanks Ladies appreciate the feedback, Ive done the tour which was a complete waste of time, a total of 5 mins where we walked through but didnt get shown anything of use (birth suites and ward was full.)

I was admitted for obs after a fall and spent a bit of time in the ward last weekend I was slightly horrified at the showering facilities 2 showers for 19 women (2 out of order)! No nurses came to check on me until my 5 hours was up, guess I wasnt a priority at the time. Heard plenty of stories re nasty midwives so very glad to hear nice reassuring recounts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Rusalka quick question. Were you given a gown for birthing? Ive been given a birthplan sheet and dont have anything specific I must have just wondered if any of this was adhered to, I understand your labour was unexpected so somethings might have been different to the norm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Wishnhope I didn't have a written birth plan. My plan was get her out safely and with the least amount of pain!!

I gave birth in a crop top and just had a sheet over my legs. After the birth I had a shower and then used a hospital gown that they gave me until the next day when I had my next shower.

I did plan to use a hospital gown.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusalka For This Useful Post:

Wishnhope  (18-09-2014)