+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I assume @anewme means the password for iTunes.

How could someone abuse a passcode to unlock an iPad? Even my 5 year old can unlock her own iPad.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (26-08-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Yes, it was definitely $4600 :-) These are excellent parents of three respectful, polite and intelligent kids. They aren't dumb. They aren't neglectful. The kids don't spend all day every day zoning out on technology. The system had clearly been working for a while. I think the reason DD has/had the code in the first place is for long car trips if they want to download music or something like that. Well that's where it started. It was uncharacteristic behaviour from the son, which I think may be why, as some PPs suggested, they had such a heavy handed response. I also think that despite being a clever kid it's an alarming sign that he didn't understand that it was real money he was spending. I think that's something for everyone to be aware of in this digital age.

I guess what I was most curious about was the youngest child being involved in the punishment because I don't have three children myself. Like, whether it was a case of them saying 'well you've blown it for everyone now' or just something that could've been better thought out. Thanks for all your responses. It's been an interesting read :-)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2014),LoveLivesHere  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Passcode to unlock the iPad or iTunes password to download apps/music/videos etc that is linked to a credit card? Because those are 2 completely different things.
    The password to download apps and make purchases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yes, it was definitely $4600 :-) These are excellent parents of three respectful, polite and intelligent kids. They aren't dumb. They aren't neglectful. The kids don't spend all day every day zoning out on technology. The system had clearly been working for a while. I think the reason DD has/had the code in the first place is for long car trips if they want to download music or something like that. Well that's where it started. It was uncharacteristic behaviour from the son, which I think may be why, as some PPs suggested, they had such a heavy handed response. I also think that despite being a clever kid it's an alarming sign that he didn't understand that it was real money he was spending. I think that's something for everyone to be aware of in this digital age.

I guess what I was most curious about was the youngest child being involved in the punishment because I don't have three children myself. Like, whether it was a case of them saying 'well you've blown it for everyone now' or just something that could've been better thought out. Thanks for all your responses. It's been an interesting read :-)

It doesn't matter how good your kids and how good you are as a parent. Kids do stupid things sometimes because they are kids. Their brain aren't finished growing. Making a bad decision can often teach us more than a thousand good decision.

Yes when we as parents give our kids that extra trust we take a risk that they may stuff up. But when you weigh that risk with teaching you kids to be a responsible, trustworthy, independent person. The good out weighs the bad.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2014),Full House  (27-08-2014),harvs  (26-08-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (27-08-2014),MsViking  (27-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (26-08-2014),SAgirl  (26-08-2014),Sonja  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I also think that despite being a clever kid it's an alarming sign that he didn't understand that it was real money he was spending. I think that's something for everyone to be aware of in this digital age.
    This is whati thought too. I know my 9 year old struggles with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The problem I have, is that we got the IPad through funding for DS2 for his ASD. Often ASD kids become obsessed by certain things. This is where it became a problem for us. I can absolutely see how it would be ok for NT kids. Having said that though - there are studies coming out all the time saying that the majority of Aussie kids are not playing outside enough and spending to much time on computers etc. I'm not saying you specifically - but our society as a whole has definitely changed - in the way kids play and spend their time etc. And not for the best either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It doesn't have to be that way though. Our ds has an iPad and although most of his aps are educational or mental stimulating recommended by the school his use is monitored, he is only allowed certain times of certain days. He has iPad free days. He knows the rules which have been in place since day dot. He spends much time outdoors.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Jodes35  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes -yes this exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    All the rules ib the world wont always help with children with obsessive natures or special needs. I've had rules in place for my sons fron day 1 as well. They know their time limit. They know the rules. That in no way stops them obsessing over it or having a meltdown when time is up.

I regret buying them often. But other times they're a godsend, especially for my middle boy when we're out and he is struggling with the world around him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusheen The Cat View Post
    Same here. DS5 got an ipad for his birthday from his father. He's mostly got educational games, but he also has his strategy/fun ones like Plants vs zombies, Angry birds & minecraft. His time is monitored daily, he gets to use it for an hour a day, 2 hours (in separate 1 hour blocks) on weekends. We also do technology free days as well & he enjoys playing outside with the dogs outside & playing with his trains or lego more than his ipad anyway.

I guess as a gamer & someone who is genually interested in technology I already knew all the tricks & tips on how to lock up his Ipad and to avoid anything online like a plague! He still gets pop ups to "buy stuff ingame" but it wont work as he has no internet access & knows to press the x button.

As for his access to it, he knows the password for his Ipad but he doesnt have wi-fi connected & it needs a password (which only I know as it's under my account) to access the app store, and my CC details aren't saved to it.
    His Ipad is set to airplane mode unless I use it to buy him a game too.

As a general note:
    I really think parents need to know the in and outs of technology before buying their children in depth gaming consoles of any sort(Ipad/iphone, 3DS, wii/wiiU, xbox one/360 ps3/4 etc), they need to know about parental locks, timers, and how to access online content. Everything is accessible via the internet now through wi-fi and thus easily obtainable to buy & download more content through paypal & credit cards. I know not all parents are tech savy, but it doesnt hurt to learn & it could possibly save a world of trouble by doing so.
    Yes ds's iPad also doesn't have credit a lot of the time. And we have also made him very aware of pop ups and he has even had people try to talk to him online in which he knows how to shut it down and let us know. I think because they use iPads at school kids do need to be allowed to use them and be taught responsibility and given time restraints. It's amazing how quick they pick things up isn't it? That mind craft is mind boggling to me and dh, we are bewildered with how ds1 navigates it and builds things and heaven forbid ds who is 3.5yrs also knows how to do it by watching ds1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The punishment seems unfair on the youngest (who wasn't involved) and perhaps harsh on the daughter (who didn't think very carefully but didn't do anything intentionally deceitful). But to be fair to the parents, I expect they went into shock, then total meltdown when they saw the total. I would have probably lost my shiz completely and included the dog and the neighbours in the punishment. Holy moly!

I also understand that an 8 year old would know he was being naughty sneaking a purchase, but I have no idea if they would be able to comprehend the enormity of the total. Would he really understand the real life meaning of spending $3 vs $30 vs $300 vs $3000? I have no idea. As you say, I can see how a nice kid that wants to play a game could make a moderate sized mistake in the heat of the moment (getting password and sneaking a purchase) that quickly spiralled out of control to become a credit card catrastophe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The parents are nincompoops for giving their 11 year old the passcode: they need to accept some responsibility.

1 month ban for dd and ds1 is rather lenient.

IMO dd1 should have got 2 months and ds1 4 months (proportional to their level of blame). The youngest shouldn't have been banned at all.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (27-08-2014)